Discuss Eicr code in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi just wondering what code you would give for hard wired smoke alarms with removable batteries, I always thought this would be code 3 but I got told recently that it’s a c2. Would be grateful if someone could clear this up for me also would the code be the same for out of date smokes? Thanks in advance

Doesn't need Coding at all it isn't the remit of BS7671.
Removable batteries are not an issue anyway.
Not even on rented properties? I called stroma technical help and asked them they said it’s a c2 which I didn’t expect. He said that a minimum requirement is at least battery smoke on every level and I should be coding on the eicr if not

Not even on rented properties? I called stroma technical help and asked them they said it’s a c2 which I didn’t expect. He said that a minimum requirement is at least battery smoke on every level and I should be coding on the eicr if not
It is nothing to do with an EICR. Getting advice from people like Stroma is pointless, they are clueless.

I’m lost mate......what are you coding? Lack of smokes?.....or something else?....either way what did you call stroma for?

It is nothing to do with an EICR. Getting advice from people like Stroma is pointless, they are clueless.
Thanks for your help I think I’ll Just note it as an observation on rental properties if no smokes what so ever just to cover my back then if they want to act upon that they can ?
[automerge]1594492277[/automerge]
I’m lost mate......what are you coding? Lack of smokes?.....or something else?....either way what did you call stroma for?
Was coding lack of smokes & removable battery type as a lot of people take batteries out & thought renters need them so called stroma just to be on the safe side but they ended up just confusing things

smokes are not in your remit of a EICR to BS7671. they, or lack of them. may be a violation of a building reg. but nothing to do with a EICR, except to inspect and test any wiring circuit/s to them.

Think it’s probably more my Conscience, if a fire was to ever happen and there been no smokes in there

Hope you checked all the glass was safety glass, the cold tap was on the right and the loft was correctly insulated ! Or are they crossing the line ?

Also if there was a fire it's most likely there would be several types of smoke in there.

Was coding lack of smokes & removable battery type as a lot of people take batteries out & thought renters need them

Do you have any particular regulation from BS7671 in mind when you are thinking about coding this on an EICR?

Mains powered alarms with battery backup of any type are fully compliant with the relevant smoke alarm regulations (nothing to do with bs7671), stand alone battery powered alarms are also fully compliant, both fall in to different categories of alarm but are all acceptable for rented houses.

If you feel you need to say something to the customer then attach a separate letter. But I agree with everyone else, it isn’t coded in an EICR.

From electrical safety first best practice guide 4 issue 5:
"Items worthy of note that do not
warrant a classification code (These
comments should be recorded on the
EICR in the observations section)
• The absence of a fire detection
and alarm system (smoke/heat/
carbon monoxide detectors etc)"

Thanks for your help I think I’ll Just note it as an observation on rental properties if no smokes what so ever just to cover my back then if they want to act upon that they can ?
[automerge]1594492277[/automerge]

Was coding lack of smokes & removable battery type as a lot of people take batteries out & thought renters need them so called stroma just to be on the safe side but they ended up just confusing things

The advice I've seen is to note the absence of smokes on the EICR comments, but with no code - there is no electrical regulation requirement for them, and the legal requirements are unrelated to the EICR.

The only way a Smoke alarm could get a code would be if it was hard wired and there was an electrical fault on the circuit (Low IR or high Zs reading)

Though the way we are going, there actually WILL be a 'landlords report' that so many people have asked for over the years (The good landlords that didn't need a specific law to ensure their properties were safe to let).

Reply to Eicr code in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock