Discuss EICR code in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jm1980

-
Reaction score
When doing an EICR what code (if any) would you guys give to a piece of twin and earth cable in a duct outside.

The duct runs from the side of the house approx 10 metres to the detached garage. The cable is exposed for about half a meter where it comes out of house wall where it is clipped and goes into the floor level plastic duct which re-emerges in the garage. Ducting is set in the concrete driveway.

Cable IR tests fine and size/OCPD is fine. SWA would obviously be better but it would likely be a pig to replace. I could easily trunk the exposed T+E before it enters the ground which gives it some mechanical protection but the issue I'm least happy with is i cant see how the duct isn't carrying some water/likely to at intermittent points.

Cheers

protection is MCB from a split load board. MCB on the protected side. The cable doesnt 'need' RCD protection as it comes out of the wall behind the CU which is on the inside of the house.

Thinking more in terms of EICR code for using the T+E in the ducting where it potentially is sat in water, i.e unsuitable cable for location.

no code, IMO.maybe a comment as the exposed T/E may be subject to UV deterioration and possible mechanical damage.

The duct almost certainly contains water and although a pvc sheathed cable is water resistant it is not waterproof. Water is a solvent and although it may take many years the water will overcome the pvc. Where the cable is exposed it is prone to solar and possible mechanical damage.

Extending from @westward10 thought - the cable is not suitable for that use which means a rating is required. Whether safety is impacted is the Inspector’s judgement on site and I might suggest improvement and more frequent inspections to detect any deterioration before it becomes unsafe.

Any idea how old it is? If it is, say, 10 years old and still the IR still fine I don't see any real problem other than the exposed bit needing covered.

As above, maybe suggest more frequent inspection/testing in case it degrades, but it is hard to see it actually becoming any sort of serious safety risk as any fault in the duct is very very unlikely give rise to a propagating fire or shock hazard.

Well if it’s a socket...any extraneous conductive parts available.
that brings up a point. if there are extraneous conductive parts, the cpc in the T/E is not suitable as a bonding conductor, so that in itself could code the T/E as a code 2. comments?

True but you have a picture of the install floating around in your brain will it need this will it need that etc...that’s how us Sparkies work
but we need to be on site to suss it out properly, not just relying on an incomplete description on a forum.

I was leaning towards a code 3 of improvement recommended given that the IR is fine and the set-up has been this way since 2007 i have been told. Maybe as others have suggested enhanced EICR frequency of 3-5 years. The property is a rental so has to be done every 5 years anyway.

As the question was raised, the cable feeds a 2 way CU in the garage which has its own RCD and then a lighting circuit and socket radial.

I was leaning towards a code 3 of improvement recommended given that the IR is fine and the set-up has been this way since 2007 i have been told. Maybe as others have suggested enhanced EICR frequency of 3-5 years. The property is a rental so has to be done every 5 years anyway.

As the question was raised, the cable feeds a 2 way CU in the garage which has its own RCD and then a lighting circuit and socket radial.
but what size is the T/E?

Reply to EICR code in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net