Discuss Eicr codeing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Maxstone89

Hi,

What code would people put for a lighting cable going along skirting board with no trunking ect, its in a really old building so not sure weather this complied then or not as its in an exposed position, i want to put c2
But is it c3

Would be thankful for your input

Regards Kurtis Randle

C3, unless there's signs of damage or an obvious specific risk. After all, you'll find loads of flexible cable lying around on the floor of most properties and that generally survives.

C3 states improvement recommended , and as i would not install clipped direct in a vulnerable position unless mechanically protected eg trunking ect
More common sense, there is a reg stating any cable clipped direct must be mechanically protected unless in a non vulnerable position, not 100% sure where or how its worded but i have seen it, i will take a look later

Last edited by a moderator:
C3 states improvement recommended , and as i would not install clipped direct in a vulnerable position unless mechanically protected eg trunking ect
More common sense, there is a reg stating any cable clipped direct must be mechanically protected unless in a non vulnerable position, not 100% sure where but i have seen it, i will take a look later

Then you need to be quoting that reg if you feel it is appropriate to the installation. For your reference it is reg 522.6.1.
Remember that an EICR is a report based on BS7671 and any coding must be able to be justified with a regulation. Your personal opinion and common sense is not a part of BS7671 so has no place in the report. You need to keep this in mind to save yourself from producing potentially fraudulent documents, especially if you are quoting for remedial work on the back of your report.

Fair play, what i meant though was common sense normally falls into a reg anyhow if that makes sense. Cheers i will have a look now

Yeah you are right, but there a few instances where the regulations do not fall into line with what we expect. Remember that BS7671 is a minimum standard and sometimes not up to our personal standards, but only the minimum standard applies to the report.

More common sense, there is a reg stating any cable clipped direct must be mechanically protected unless in a non vulnerable position, not 100% sure where or how its worded but i have seen it, i will take a look later

Just because you would not install it that way doesn't necessarily mean it is wrong.
What do you perceive this T&E to be vulnerable to? Are there any signs of damage? If it has been there for a number of years and not suffered yet I would say that it's not particularly vulnerable. Especially considering that older T&E is a damn sight tougher than modern stuff

Reply to Eicr codeing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net