• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

EICR codes again earths to double ins fittings

Discuss EICR codes again earths to double ins fittings in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyyoyo

Active EF Member
Just been to an inspection today, as with many of them its suffering from a bit of DIY, bathroom downlights are above 225, so are out of zones, but are not IP rated, so I will probably give them a C3 ? They are double insulated but the earths have been nicely snipped out so are discontinuous & unterminated, so maybe a C2?
I'm still taking far too long with the new forms, is it just me? maybe I'm becoming an old stick in the mud.

andyyoyo

Active EF Member
Exactly, but I still think maybe it warrants some mention as these are open GU10s, thats why I was thinking of using a C3

rich.250

Electrician's Arms
You could recommend improvement c3,
But that's your professional opinion. No supporting regulations.

As for the lack of CPC continuity, my code would depend on If it has RCD protection or supplementary bonding to provide protection for bathroom.

needasparks

Electrician's Arms
Think similar question was answered earlier, Just because they are out of the zone does not mean they are suitable for their location.
steam and moisture tends not to know the regs and goes where it likes.

Des 56

Forum Mentor
The fittings have to be suitable for the environment

In a bathroom I dont believe open lamp downlighters are suitable
Aside from moisture penetration,there is danger of injury should the lamp glass shatter,especialy,if like me the user tramps about barefoot

andyyoyo

Active EF Member
No RCD, but I was going to recommend RCBOs for the lighting circuits anyway. No visible supplimentary bonding, but there is continuity at pipework etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Sponsors

Electrician Talk

Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript![ ? ]