Discuss EICR codes again earths to double ins fittings in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

andyyoyo

Just been to an inspection today, as with many of them its suffering from a bit of DIY, bathroom downlights are above 225, so are out of zones, but are not IP rated, so I will probably give them a C3 ? They are double insulated but the earths have been nicely snipped out so are discontinuous & unterminated, so maybe a C2?
I'm still taking far too long with the new forms, is it just me? maybe I'm becoming an old stick in the mud.

Exactly, but I still think maybe it warrants some mention as these are open GU10s, thats why I was thinking of using a C3

You could recommend improvement c3,
But that's your professional opinion. No supporting regulations.

As for the lack of CPC continuity, my code would depend on If it has RCD protection or supplementary bonding to provide protection for bathroom.

Think similar question was answered earlier, Just because they are out of the zone does not mean they are suitable for their location.
steam and moisture tends not to know the regs and goes where it likes.

The fittings have to be suitable for the environment

In a bathroom I dont believe open lamp downlighters are suitable
Aside from moisture penetration,there is danger of injury should the lamp glass shatter,especialy,if like me the user tramps about barefoot

No RCD, but I was going to recommend RCBOs for the lighting circuits anyway. No visible supplimentary bonding, but there is continuity at pipework etc.

Hate the EICR's at the moment...filling in one today on NIC software...section F,about 60 odd defects...then when you get to the tick box section you have to reference every one to defects in section F...constantly flicking back and trawling through all the defects....:cuss:

Regarding DI fittings, which are becoming more and more prevalent. I struggle between the two options of C2 and C3 mainly because. There is no danger present and there wont be if DA fittings remain, so for it to become dangerous there would need to be a change of fitting to class1 and however fitted it left the earths off, also a C2 tends to lead to an un-satisfactory condition. The problem with C3 is that its worded as a recommendation which i suppose is probably nearer to its actual real danger potential. As its relativly inexpensive to terminate them on a choc block and test continuity and there is some way to explain to the client that it is needed for the future then its easier to justify a C2. I do wish though that the suppliers of these lights create a term position for earth continuity would make life so much easier for DIYers and Electricians

Last edited:
the coding would be a code C3 as long as the lights are all class 2 and switches are all on plastic back boxes so plate screws cant become live. But I would make it clear on your test sheet or use addition sheet to clearly explain the dangers would increase if class 2 fittings were changed.

After all you can only report on the installation at its current state.

If you are in doubt ring NIC or ECA techinical (or whoever you pay your money to).

Reply to EICR codes again earths to double ins fittings in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock