Discuss Eicr codes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi All.
What will be the code for :
- short circuit in radial;
- low value of resitance for motor circuit;
-no continuity on ring ;
What do you think the codes should be, asking for the answers is the wrong approach, tell us what you think and open it up for discussions.

a short circuit is bang. that's a C1 in my book. C2 for the rest.

but is OP reading a s/c L-N on a IR test? router,TV and sky box now goosed probably

Hi All.
What will be the code for :
- short circuit in radial;
- low value of resitance for motor circuit;
-no continuity on ring ;
Short circuit, I would guess at either FI or no code, the ocpd will have operated and the circuit will be dead so it can't be dangerous.
A low value resistance is not a problem, or do you mean insulation resistance?

The trouble is that the I will be have exam best weekend and what only I am struggling is a codes. So can anyone help me with that please and give me few examples of common fault and descriptions.

Short circuit, I would guess at either FI or no code, the ocpd will have operated and the circuit will be dead so it can't be dangerous.
A low value resistance is not a problem, or do you mean insulation resistance?
agree up to a point. OCPD should operate thus rendering the circuit "safe". what about numpty who resets/rewires/fits a a nail?

More information is required.
A short circuit on a radial should have caused the protective device to operate.
If it hasn’t, code C1, if it has, code C3.

Low IR on motor circuits, could be because the motor is failing, or could be skewed because there’s a VSD.
If the test was conducted just on the circuit, then a code C2.

No continuity on a ring, would be a code C2.

Before you can decide on a Code you need to understand the consequences if not rectified the fault is posing to persons and/or property. To do this you need to understand the fundamental principles of how a circuit and circuit protection act together and how the fault will affect this partnership. Two of the biggest hazards with circuit fault are electric shock and fire, you need to decide how the fault is going to affect the circuit and the possible consequences.

With the Zs above the minimum value what will possibly happen if a line to earth fault occurs. Who or what is at risk and why.

Reply to Eicr codes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net