Discuss EICR coding non Amend3 CU over front door in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C2 or C3 see initial post

• C2 no question about it

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Probably C2

• C3 no question about it

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • C3 but suggest Amendment 3 CU in strongest possible terms

• Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Obviously at least a C3, but is it a C2?

Front door opens into tiny hallway, not much more than 1m square with the stairs going straight up virtually in line with front door, approx. 300mm offset to right.
Above you as you enter is a 16th edition insulated CU, tight against the ceiling and tight against the wall to your right as you walk into the property.
To your right is the door into a kitchen diner with sliding patio doors.
To your left, approx. 600mm, is the door into the lounge.

Therefore the only exit route from upstairs is either out of a first floor window, or down the stairs past/under the CU.

I'm sure I recall a non Amendment 3 CU under standard wooden stairs should be considered a C2, because in the event of a fire, not only does it have the potential to cause the stairs to fail, but as this would be considered the normal escape route in the event of a fire it would also be the source of smoke and heat making safe escape harder.

So, would you consider the situation described above;
a straight forward C2, or
a potential C3 with strong recommendations to fit an Amendment 3 CU, or fit the existing CU in a non-combustible enclosure?

I would typically err on the side of making it a C2 to cover myself and argue a lesser coding should objections be forthcoming about my making it a C2, i.e. what price/cost safety.

BS7671 only gives a single piece of advice for Coding, that being a minimum Code 3 for lack of additional rcd protection. I assume you have done an EICR so all terminations should be sound and would pose no more a fire risk than a metal enclosure. I would not Code it at all, is there a smoke detector on the escape route.

The guidance if located under the stairs and in the sole means of escape is a C3 based on a fire risk assessment by certain bodies such as the niceic,basec, napit and the iet who help put together these guides.
It's upto you tho as the inspector if you agree or not and deem it potentially dangerous (if no loose connections found inside or thermal damage) or would just make a comment.

BS7671 only gives a single piece of advice for Coding, that being a minimum Code 3 for lack of additional rcd protection. I assume you have done an EICR so all terminations should be sound and would pose no more a fire risk than a metal enclosure. I would not Code it at all, is there a smoke detector on the escape route.
Yes, all terminations checked ... obviously ... all were in good order.

Reply to EICR coding non Amend3 CU over front door in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net