Discuss EICR coding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I would like you guys to give me some input on what to code this picture as, I was thinking C3.

EICR coding 01e1f9da12b95902645f7492c38014bdb804f94698 - EletriciansForums.net

Also, I'm not sure whether the main earthing conductor and main protective bonding is 6mm or 10mm. They were both the same. Forgot the caliper today... I'm erring on the side that it might be 6mm 1960's bungalow rewired once. I was debating a code 3, both gas and water are connected in parallel across the house on one piece of single core 6mm or is it 10mm. bonds are broken and earth tags are old.

EICR coding 014d5fd40aab0a3c9eb737633673adba816c4d4693 - EletriciansForums.net

EICR coding 0146b748a24aecbe69c0571dc8bcebff48031c9b6d - EletriciansForums.net
EICR coding 0167424a5b13a766d2ec485c23bff1e425bad2b72a - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
I would like you guys to give me some input on what to code this picture as, I was thinking C3.

View attachment 32354

Also, I'm not sure whether the main earthing conductor and main protective bonding is 6mm or 10mm. They were both the same. Forgot the caliper today... I'm erring on the side that it might be 6mm 1960's bungalow rewired once. I was debating a code 3, both gas and water are connected in parallel across the house on one piece of single core 6mm or is it 10mm.

View attachment 32355

View attachment 32356
View attachment 32357

Are those Earth Bonds connected to some sort of pipe clip? plus the cable is the wrong color, couldn't see any Yellow present. What were the ZS and ZE.
Tails nicely fixed, and then the abortion coming out of the CCU not fixed. Have you tested the pipework? cant see any bonding conductors back at the meter position, no MET to speak of, bit of a lash up really. if it were me I would do some testing before any coding, how many ways in that switch fuse?

Last edited:
ere
re those Earth Bonds connected to some sort of pipe clip? plus the cable is the wrong colour, couldn't see any Yellow present. What w the ZS and ZE

The old memstar board is screwed and plugged to the wall. It has some metal legs which there are two of, the one at the bottom in my second picture is where the main protective bonding conductor and the main earthing conductor connect to. There is another at the top used as an earth terminal for the cpc's.

Deffinately wrong colour. Yes.

ZE 0.23

The old memstar board is screwed and plugged to the wall. It has some metal legs which there are two of, the one at the bottom in my second picture is where the main protective bonding conductor and the main earthing conductor connect to. There is another at the top used as an earth terminal for the cpc's.

Deffinately wrong colour. Yes.

ZE 0.23

That's awful, rough as old boots can't be a very good ZS code 2 IMO and inform the customer it needs sorting, I'm only surmising with only those 4 pics to look at, I really thought those bonds were under the sink or something. That's all I can say about it, maybe others will come up with some differing views.

Last edited:
well it was rough, but it's old and to me ZE was acceptable.. TN-C-S (PME) with 0.23

what about the cooker....did you say C2. I was really thinking C2 it being so close to the cooking surface of the hob.
'Not just thinking of the cooker, of course it has a bearing but the whole issue, which is part of your EICR, warrant's IMO a code 2

Each observation needs to be referenced to a regulation to have any real meaning.
So which regulation are you going to use to support a C3 or C2?

If it is to be C2 then what is the potential danger?
If it is to be C3 then what is the improvement for safety which you are recommending?

As regard to the cooker picture this can only be a C3 for me nothing wrong with a clipped cable in a domestic enviroment although its hourendously you can fail untidyness you need a reg number contradiction, perhaps its been done like that after maybe a kitchen fitter has hit the cable from switch to outlet that may have been ran diagonally. The only thing that would make it c2 for me if cable hasnt entered isolator though grommeted hole or if there is no cooker outlet as it is a freestanding cooker.

As regard to the cooker picture this can only be a C3 for me nothing wrong with a clipped cable in a domestic enviroment ------ -The only thing that would make it c2 for me if cable hasnt entered isolator though grommeted hole or if there is no cooker outlet as it is a freestanding cooker.
But the cable isn't clipped, its unsupported.

Defo looks to be PME to me (piccy 3). The cooker cable is not clipped and is pretty close to the hob, so a C2 for me. Would prefer HR flex also.

What is the second pic of? Can't work it out properly. Looks to be tails entering the CU, with some bizarrely looped main earth. Why is the earth attached to the wall with the rusty bit of metal?

Last edited:
Defo looks to be PME to me (piccy 3). The cooker cable is not clipped and is pretty close to the hob, so a C2 for me. Would prefer HR flex also.

What is the second pic of? Can't work it out properly. Looks to be tails entering the CU, with some bizarrely looped main earth. Why is the earth attached to the wall with the rusty bit of metal?
Are you sure GO? Were there not some heads that had the cable sheath terminated to a screw block like that one? You can't just assume it's PME, although with a Ze like that it probably is a PME network?

Are you sure GO? Were there not some heads that had the cable sheath terminated to a screw block like that one? You can't just assume it's PME, although with a Ze like that it probably is a PME network?

OK, see where you are coming from now. Out of curiosity, do you think possibly TNS due to the black shrouding beneath cutout, or other reason? Easy enough to test and know for sure though. Certainly wouldn't be ringing DNO to enquire as they are generally useless with such info (up here at least!).

It could be TN-S with a split concentric, if it does not claim to be PME.

IMHO there's not much wrong with that earthing if it's a TN-S supply, other than the termination is a bit sloppy. IIRC that's how the Memstar is made - it has a metal framework and the earth terminals screw directly into that as we see in the pic. It is serving as the MET, the two cables are presumably the EC (clipped with the tails) and the shared MEB (chased into the wall) and then the CPCs are attached to similar terminals at the top of the unit. It does look like 6mm, undersize if the supply is TN-C-S.

The cooker cable I do not like at all. I doubt there's any attempt at strain relief and someone could tug on that when pulling the cooker out for cleaning and the sheath and insulation would easily cut through where crushed against the edge of the switch, or pull it loose from the terminals.

OK, see where you are coming from now. Out of curiosity, do you think possibly TNS due to the black shrouding beneath cutout, or other reason? Easy enough to test and know for sure though. Certainly wouldn't be ringing DNO to enquire as they are generally useless with such info (up here at least!).
The DNO won't have a clue, they would have to come out to check. With a reading like that it's probably a PME network? But as far as an EICR goes I would put it down as a TNS personally, and as Lucian has said the earthing is fine if so.

I would agree with the cooker cable having unsupported cable on terminals, it looks like the switch must have had a notch cut out of it to take the cable through leaving the switch flat to the tiles. Rough but it might be supporting (damaging) the cable somewhat. The cable passing adjacent to the cooking surface means it is in an unsuitable environmental location , though I would say the risk of damage is fairly low.

If the cable size is deceptive I tend to find that the cable is imperial cable with thicker insulation and would therefore assume the size is 7/0.44 (6.45mm²). I cannot quite make out the connection on the "MET" it almost looks looped but I have to assume it is two conductors terminated correctly to the connector and twisted over together at the top ( and nearly in contact with the incoming tails).

When you say the bonds are broken I assume you mean they are not mechanically continuous but are electrically continuous.
If they are not electrically continuous then this would warrant a C2 code.

I would class the cooker cable as C3 unsuitable for the environment and unsupported cable terminations, the
bonding conductor size I would class as C3, but this would depend on the actual earthing arrangement.

Reply to EICR coding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock