uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss EICR coding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi guys what would you code a wall light fitting mounted about 300mm away from an oak beamed cieling? The fitting has led lamps fitted but could be replaced with halogen etc?

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
Is it any different to having a straight batten holder in the ceiling?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Must admit my initial thoughts was c3 as the top of the lamp is 300mm from combustible surface but also it’s a twin arm candle holder type wall light and the sides of the lamps are only 150-200 away from beamed wall so maybe I’m over thinking this. There’s no signs of any overheating etc

Risteard

-
Arms
Esteemed
No code, it would take a lot more than an incandescent lamp to cause an oak beam to catch fire.
In Ireland RECI are quite strict about luminaries too close to combustible surfaces and would expect it changed for an LED luminaire marked as suitable for mounting on/near combustible surfaces with non-replaceable lamps.

As such it's something I would avoid.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
In Ireland RECI are quite strict about luminaries too close to combustible surfaces and would expect it changed for an LED luminaire marked as suitable for mounting on/near combustible surfaces with non-replaceable lamps.

As such it's something I would avoid.
How exactly is combustible defined by Reci?
I can appreciate if it was a readily combustible softwood being discussed here, but Oak just isn't readily combustible.
Oak and a few other hardwoods have been tested by various companies who manufacture wooden switches for suitability as enclosures for electrical connections and they pass.

Risteard

-
Arms
Esteemed
How exactly is combustible defined by Reci?
I can appreciate if it was a readily combustible softwood being discussed here, but Oak just isn't readily combustible.
Oak and a few other hardwoods have been tested by various companies who manufacture wooden switches for suitability as enclosures for electrical connections and they pass.
It's an interesting question, and I suppose you could try to argue that with the Inspector. I'm not sure whether they have considered the properties of different types of wood or not. With the move to LED lighting though I suppose it's becoming less and less of an issue.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
It's an interesting question, and I suppose you could try to argue that with the Inspector.
Its the same question that there still doesn't seem to be an answer for regarding consumer units.

There are standards and tests out there which test combustibility, but no answer as to which one should be used in these situations.

Reply to EICR coding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom