Discuss EICR Coding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Spazz

I need a hand to confirm what coding goes with what please on this house

I have been asked to inspect a house by an agent and this is the situation:
  • TN-S Earthing (0.4 ohms)
  • No CPC in lighting circuit with Class 1 fittings
  • No Bonding to Gas or Water
  • No Sleaving on any CPCs
  • All CPCs twisted together and put into 1 conductor on MET (in CU)
  • Main Earth has been extended using a 6mm black (neutral) cable
  • 10 Sockets on a 20A Radial (2.5 T&E)
  • CU inaccessible under Stairs
  • RCD as main switch (only 5 circuits)
  • Trunking Missing exposing unsupported Cables
  • Extractor Fan in bathroom controlled by the shower circuit (no shower) on 6mm T&E 32A MCB
  • No labels on CU apart from an old damaged RCD label (this circuit or part of it is protected by an RCD)
  • Half a socket in the kitchen does not work (245v LE, 110v LN, 110v NE)

Rewire was done about 1 year ago in old (Red & Black) cables, not notified, no certificate - landlord said the electrician and gas fitter walked off site due to payment problems (not a clue)
Boiler is less than 1 year old - never been serviced or when it was installed

I know a few of these are not a cause for concern but they are there to draw the picture

Thanks for your help

well:
1) no code...as its within for a TN-S (0.8)
2)to me its a 1...get them class 1s dropped
3) a 2....will need bonding installed to services
4)well you could give it a 3...identification of conductors
5)again a 3...requires improvement..CPCs should follow the number of circuit they belong to
6) a 3...undersized CSA...wrong colour (identification)...i dont like the idea of a joint in it (i assume it isnt going into an earth marshalling block...well, its just wrong isn`t it..
7)give it a 3....the cables CCC is capable of carrying the max let though....but i would definately be inspecting these....
8)a 3..
9)go for a 3 on this....
10)unsupported cables....poss a 3
11)if not on an FCU...then a 2...this would be a fire risk....
12)a 3 here....no identification of circuits
13)..go for a 3 initially...but upon investigation be prepared for a 1..

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have a go

have been asked to inspect a house by an agent and this is the situation:

• TN-S Earthing (0.4 ohms) No code as it is within 0.8
  • No CPC in lighting circuit with Class 1 fittings, C2
  • No Bonding to Gas or Water, C2
  • No Sleaving on any CPCs, No code, or C3 as it may have complied at time
  • All CPCs twisted together and put into 1 conductor on MET (in CU) C3
  • Main Earth has been extended using a 6mm black (neutral) cable C3 or C2 depending on how it is joined
  • 10 Sockets on a 20A Radial (2.5 T&E) No code
  • CU inaccessible under Stairs maybe no code, as I cannot see the circumstances, possibly C2 or C3
  • RCD as main switch (only 5 circuits) C3, may have complied at the time
  • Trunking Missing exposing unsupported Cables, depends if T&E no code or C3, or singles C2
  • Extractor Fan in bathroom controlled by the shower circuit (no shower) on 6mm T&E 32A MCB, C2, incorrect OCPD
  • No labels on CU apart from an old damaged RCD label (this circuit or part of it is protected by an RCD) C3
  • Half a socket in the kitchen does not work (245v LE, 110v LN, 110v NE) needs further investigation, possibly C1 or C2 depending on the outcome of the investigation
I have ignored the part about being rewired a year ago, as this is hearsay as far as the EICR is concerned

obviously this is just a guess as this is on a forum, and Iam not on the ground

CU inaccessible under Stairs maybe no code, as I cannot see the circumstances, possibly C2 or C3

I think I'd give that a C2.
In the event of a fire, isn't that one of the first things they (Firemen) do, try and turn the electric off?

I think I'd give that a C2.
In the event of a fire, isn't that one of the first things they (Firemen) do, try and turn the electric off?

It depends on the circumstances Archy, for instance if it is just obscured by junk then possibly no code or a C3, and just a word of advice, on the other hand if it truly is inaccessible or partially boxed in or similar then a C2.

i mean i looked at the fan thing from a slightly different angle......that is to say the cable`s Iz was adequate for the In....but it was the absence of local fusing down that concerned me most....agreed though it could/should have been done at source...
similar outcome though to 68`s....so just goes to show you can gain much info from a previous written report (if done correctly)....without actually being at site....

The agent can't really call it a 'Rewire' can they with out bonding and cpc's in lighting circuits along with everything else.......sounds like existing with a new rcd board change to me....u never know u might get to rewire the so called rewire,and these people will know not to get a gas fitter to mess with the electric, clues in the job title, GAS fitter lol.

Life would be alot easier if you did some research yourself to further your own understanding.
The problem with coding is thats its entirely subjective , so as the person signing the report it has to be in your opinion.
With just a couple of items i'd help you out , but i cant be arsed going through over a dozen.

Life would be a lot easier if you did some research yourself to further your own understanding.
The problem with coding is that it's entirely subjective , so as the person signing the report it has to be in your opinion.
With just a couple of items i'd help you out , but i cant be arsed going through over a dozen.

Haha...I was thinking the very same earlier today.
You'd think it would be purely objective, which I suppose it mostly is, but surprising how much isn't.

(I always have to think about which is which with those terms!:confused::dunce2: )

Biff as usual hits the nail on the head.

These things are subjective, but as you are doing the EICR, then you must have a good idea about what you are doing, and as such, you need to put your own professional comments on the situation.

For each problem, ask yourself the following.
1, Does it pose an immediate danger, if yes, then code 1.
2, Is it likely to cause a danger, if yes, then code 2
3, Does it need improvement, if yes, then code 3.
4, Does it comply to an earlier version of BS7671, but without faults, if yes, then code 3.

Without me seeing the install, then my opinion is based on the info you give, and you have something that falls into all of the above.

And by the way, just because it doesnt comply to 17th edition, does not deem it unsafe.

Cheers................Howard

I need a hand to confirm what coding goes with what please on this house

I have been asked to inspect a house by an agent and this is the situation:
  • TN-S Earthing (0.4 ohms) No code.
  • No CPC in lighting circuit with Class 1 fittings C2
  • No Bonding to Gas or Water C2
  • No Sleaving on any CPCs C3
  • All CPCs twisted together and put into 1 conductor on MET (in CU) C3
  • Main Earth has been extended using a 6mm black (neutral) cable C3
  • 10 Sockets on a 20A Radial (2.5 T&E) No code
  • CU inaccessible under Stairs Define inaccessible.....
  • RCD as main switch (only 5 circuits) Whilst it maybe a pain under fault conditions, cant really assign a code to IMO.
  • Trunking Missing exposing unsupported Cables Definne unsupported
  • Extractor Fan in bathroom controlled by the shower circuit (no shower) on 6mm T&E 32A MCB More info needed
  • No labels on CU apart from an old damaged RCD label (this circuit or part of it is protected by an RCD) C3
  • Half a socket in the kitchen does not work (245v LE, 110v LN, 110v NE) Neutral issue, C2.

Rewire was done about 1 year ago in old (Red & Black) cables, not notified, no certificate - landlord said the electrician and gas fitter walked off site due to payment problems (not a clue)
Boiler is less than 1 year old - never been serviced or when it was installed

I know a few of these are not a cause for concern but they are there to draw the picture

Thanks for your help

I'll humour you with my own views.

If I was there, on the day, there maybe some variances in the above depending on what sort of 'feel' I got for the install.

Reply to EICR Coding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock