Discuss EICR debate with client! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bristolsparky

Hi Chaps,

Sorry its late but im after some advice from some maybe wiser men....

I have carried out a EICR on a multiple unit trading estate owned by a farmer.

I have discovered that nearly all the 3 phase DB'd are corroded and have asbestos flash guards with bs3036 fuses. I have put the fuses down as limitation in my report as i did not want to disturb them etc. I have also explained to the landlord that i recommend that the 3 phase DB's are to be replaced....

I have given him costs and time schedule etc of which he honestly explained he cannot afford the costs involved but wants to try and think of another cost effective way to repair the defects identified. I have explained that DB's in question have a fair amount of corrosion and advise to replace them.

His reponse was to get a asbestos company in to remove all asbestos in the distribution boards and that would be it?!??!! I explained that they are still very corroded and very old. All the ZS results etc are fine and earthing is acceptable but i am not happy signing my name away without replacing the db's but would like to help him out and gain future work with him....

Please see pics of the defects i have found mainly the rusty DB's TPN

Any advice on how to proceed? I personally think the only option is to replace them....
IMG_6242.jpgIMG_6232.jpgIMG_6227.jpg

Hi Chaps,

Sorry its late but im after some advice from some maybe wiser men....

I have carried out a EICR on a multiple unit trading estate owned by a farmer.

I have discovered that nearly all the 3 phase DB'd are corroded and have asbestos flash guards with bs3036 fuses. I have put the fuses down as limitation in my report as i did not want to disturb them etc. I have also explained to the landlord that i recommend that the 3 phase DB's are to be replaced....

I have given him costs and time schedule etc of which he honestly explained he cannot afford the costs involved but wants to try and think of another cost effective way to repair the defects identified. I have explained that DB's in question have a fair amount of corrosion and advise to replace them.

His reponse was to get a asbestos company in to remove all asbestos in the distribution boards and that would be it?!??!! I explained that they are still very corroded and very old. All the ZS results etc are fine and earthing is acceptable but i am not happy signing my name away without replacing the db's but would like to help him out and gain future work with him....

Please see pics of the defects i have found mainly the rusty DB's TPN

Any advice on how to proceed? I personally think the only option is to replace them....
View attachment 32661View attachment 32660View attachment 32662

The second line in your pot explains the problems, "Farmer" they can be some tight gits, just give him the EICR with an explanation get paid and leave it up to the Farmer, you have done what he wanted, it's his neck if nothing is done not yours.

Last edited:
I've found that with those boards after 25+ years the insulating blocks that hold the neutral bar become moisture impregnated and send the IR results way down. plus there's no designated earth bar.
So long as you noted faults down it's then up to him

An EICR is just that it is a report on the condition of the electrical installation

It is difficult to see the extent of the corrosion or are we talking about flaky paint covering surface rust on the metal enclosures

It is time to code up what you have inspected decide whether the condition of the installation is satisfactory or unsatisfactory, if satisfactory decide when you feel the next EICR should be carried out and sign the report as long as it is honest and truthful what comeback can there be, your stance appears to be an EICR is a ransom demand the " you don't get a signed report unless I change the db's" shows a total misunderstanding of what an EICR is, and gives the impression you are desperate for work

As Murdoch said,

Submit the unsatisfactory EICR, Invoice and quote for the remedial's, and move on to the next job. as cruel and heartless as it sounds , a farmers finances are not your problem!, and they are rarely as poor as they make out. im afraid that you are most likely dealing with the typical "mend and make do" attitude of farmers.

A side not worth pointing out is that by removing the flash guards would further compound the unsatisfactory report as it would be a modification and a deviation from the manufacturers design and spec and would leave the board without Arc flash protection.

OK, the boards aren't pretty, but unless the rust has holes big enough to stick your finger through or it's falling off the wall, what electrical safety risk does it pose?

The asbestos is just there to do a job. Again, what is the safety risk unless you poke it with a screwdriver?

Both issues appear to be a C3 or maybe just advisory to me.

Last edited:
Signs of corrosion is indicative of moisture ingress, so would constitute a code 2. more so it is evidence that the system is not suitable for the environment. that aside from the question is raised about the suitability of the enclosure and its components to provide low resistance conduction and a reliable earth fault loop path.

I Quite agree about the asbestos, its only really an issue if disturbed. my point is that if it is removed then that makes the DB even less suitable for use as it is there for a reason.

OK, the boards aren't pretty, but unless the rust has holes big enough to stick your finger through or it's falling off the wall, what electrical safety risk does it pose?

The asbestos is just there to do a job. Again, what is the safety risk unless you poke it with a screwdriver?

Both issues appear to be a C3 or maybe just advisory to me.

If you remove the flash guards you create a Classification code, I'd say Code 2.
Why remove something if it's there for an important purpose?

Submit with recommendations.

Reply to EICR debate with client! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net