Discuss Eicr details in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

juanpabs

Hi all just a little query about a conversation I was having with a work mate.

Personally I do a few domestic EICR's on occasion and whom I was talking to does more large commercial and industrial. Now when I perform my inspections I would usually start with a 20% sample and depending on these results would complete the forms or do more testing if I had unsatisfactory results. On these small installations without opening up all points I can still perform all tests on each circuit seeing as there are only say 6 to 10 in a house or flat. End result is my schedule of test results looks totally filled out with readings for R1+R2, end to end, Zs ect. Yet this got me thinking to how I would fill out a schedule of test results on a larger install say with 10 lighting circuits with the same 20% starting point, would I just pick out 2 circuits, test them as I would usually to ensure compliance, fill these results into the schedule and here comes my question! Would I just put in the details of the other circuits but leave out any column that would usually have a test result in them? This would just strike me as strange to look at if I seen a certificate with values missing!

Cheers for any replies to what might be a quite a silly question.

For any one circuit you assess everything that is visible and accessible and also internally inspect, say, 20% of accessories and joints, increasing this number if results are bad. You also take note of the circuit details.
On that circuit you test continuity of earthing, IR, and polarity. this is a 100% test of the circuit.

If you have a house then this would be repeated for each circuit.

If you are doing a commercial or industrial EICR there could be significant limitations on what you can do and a 100% testing may not be possible, therefore you stage the arrangements so that 100% testing of, say, 30% of the circuits is done this year and so on, remembering to change the circuits tested each year!
External inspections of the entire installation and 20% internal inspection of the circuits tested can be undertaken, circuit details can still be entered and the extent and limitations indicates the reasoning behind what you have done.

If I am signing a cert then personally I test everything, with the exception of not pulling up floor boards I treat it as a new job, with just taking a odd socket/switch off to check if sleeving is fitted etc

I have heard of sparks entering a front door and they have gone within half-hour after testing a 3 bed room house, now that's not testing that's just making money isn't it lol

Reply to Eicr details in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net