Discuss EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report): editable PDF based on IET Model form in the Electrician Resources and Downloads area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

happysteve

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
happysteve submitted a new resource:

EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report): editable PDF based on IET Model form - Looks just like the IET model form... but you can edit, save and print it in any PDF viewer.

This is an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report), complete with Schedule of Inspections and General Schedule of Test Results, in the format of a PDF. You can fill out the details using any PDF reader. It is derived from, and pretty much identical to, the IET model forms, at: http://electrical.------.org/wiring-regulations/forms/2015-amd3-forms.cfm?type=pdf The only thing I have added is a "Ref" field in the top right of each page, for you to add a reference (e.g. invoice...

Read more about this resource...

Yeah, great work and effort steve. I am in the process of using one of the electrical installation certificates. When I select the check boxes on page one and 2, it places a cross in the box. Is it possible to place a tick in there some way rather than a cross?
Also on the generic schedule of test results , column 5, you have a typo. It says Trating instead of rating. Great work though.

Thanks for the feedback. :) I don't think there's much chance of turning a cross into a tick for the check boxes, I think it's down to the PDF viewer you're using what they look like.

The typo, though, I can definitely fix :) I'll have a look-see and update the forms, probably over the weekend.

Sorry if this is not in the correct place or it has been covered before. I had a look but couldn't find anything about it. I have tried using the editable PDF of the EICR sheets that have been kindly shared by @happysteve. I am having some trouble editing some of the cells, such at rating. If it is more than a single digit value it will not fit on the cell. I am using a mac. Is there a work around for this. i hope i am not coming across as ungrateful, i am very grateful fot this resources and the forum in general.

Thanks

i found that as well.also, cells are too narrow for some entries. otherwise a great resource.

To be fair, it will take me a while get to them and @happysteve would be able to fix his much quicker than me starting fresh. So see what's going on his end first perhaps.

But I've got a few downloads I've got on a list to sort.

However the list is ever-increasing and my fingers wont type any faster!

It seems to be just an issue with the default selection of the dropdowns to me. Needs a zero or unchecked position for the first position? Then a selection is a choice, not the default so if you don't select it, it doesn't try to find a selection? Kinda thing?

Or them all being set to NO and then you manually change them to YES with the dropdown. Rather than them having no default selected at all?

To be fair, it will take me a while get to them and @happysteve would be able to fix his much quicker than me starting fresh. So see what's going on his end first perhaps.

But I've got a few downloads I've got on a list to sort.

However the list is ever-increasing and my fingers wont type any faster!

It seems to be just an issue with the default selection of the dropdowns to me. Needs a zero or unchecked position for the first position? Then a selection is a choice, not the default so if you don't select it, it doesn't try to find a selection? Kinda thing?

Or them all being set to NO and then you manually change them to YES with the dropdown. Rather than them having no default selected at all?
I think an blank section for the drop downs, but my issue is some of the cells are not large enough to show the value being entered. It will decrease the font size but not by enought to show the whole value. an example of this is the column 'BS(EN)' it would be good is this could hold atleast a 5 figure value.'Rating' 2 digits 'breaking capacity' would ideally hold a two digit value. 'RCD' 2 digits. 'Zs' 3 digits with a decimal place. I know its is hard to find all the space require, i have tried before to make something like this. the coloumns 'Live' and 'CPC' could be decreased to hold only 2 or 3 digits each.
That is just the first half of the table, there is room for a few modifications on the other half also.
I want to stress i am not complaining about this. I am very grateful for it and if I had to tools to edit this i would try myself.

Eh up :)

Sorry to hear some of you are having issues.

(the rest of this post is very Mac-centric, and most won't be of relevance to Windows users, unless you enjoy a good computer-based rant)

I'm Mac-based myself, and the one thing I will say is I've given up trying to make these forms compatible with Apple's default PDF viewer, "Preview" (which is otherwise great). I don't know why they don't work with it - in the old days (when the OS was "El Capitan" and earlier) they worked well, but when I got a new Mac with... what are we on now, "Mojave"?... various bits don't work any more. The drop-downs are flakey at best, non-functional at worst... and I swear the last time I looked (a few months ago), the text boxes could fit more than one number in them, but yep, you're right, now they don't, making the forms pretty much unusable. Huh :(

Here's what I do:

I use the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to fill out all my EICs, EICRs and MEIWCs. The PDF forms, when displayed on Acrobat, look as they do when designed in OpenOffice. Funnily enough, when I designed the forms, I wanted to be able to fit "60898" in the "BS-EN" box, and "2x2.5" in the conductor details, and ">2000" in the IR boxes, so I made sure they did! :) Quite what Preview is doing to mess it all up, I don't know.

Another issue I've found is that, even if you fill out the form in Acrobat, and "sign" it (so it's no longer editable), and save it... at this point, it should be a fixed PDF... if you then load it into Preview, quite a lot of the fields are blank. The only way I've found that enables me to (a) get the forms to work as intended, and (b) generate a copy that's guaranteed to look as intented when I send to my clients, is:

- fill out the form using Adobe Acrobat, save it before signing it, close the document (in Acrobat)
- duplicate the file (in Finder)
- load the duplicate in Acrobat, sign it and save it
- use an app called "PDF Printer" which fools Acrobat into thinking you're "printing" the PDF to a printer, but it's actually just a program that generates a proper static PDF
- PDF Printer generates the static PDF, and displays it in Preview, and at this point it looks spot on
- I use Preview to rotate the test results page (so it's in landscape), then save it as "whatever-signed.pdf"
- That's the file I send to the client

I hate that it doesn't "just work," and I particularly hate that the only way I can get it to work is by downloading the bloated, proprietary Adobe Acrobat reader, the authors of which are so contemptuous of their users that they deliberately disable Apple's buit-in "print to PDF" feature (unless you purchase the full version, of course). I'm using free, open source software to generate the forms (OpenOffice) and I don't know which of the gazillion options to change to make it work just as intended on everything. I don't have access to a Windows computer, or an iPad/iPhone, so I can't see what the forms look like on probably 70% of the devices that people use, I'm afraid. I'm sure if I paid for the full version of Adobe PDF whatever it's called, I'd be able to generate beautiful forms that looked perfect on everything. Ain't gonna happen, though, I'm afraid.

(I hope it's clear from the above that I'm frustrated at things, not people. I tried to make something useful. I'm sorry it's not that simple.)

Cheers all :)

(the rest of this post is very Mac-centric, and most won't be of relevance to Windows users, unless you enjoy a good computer-based rant)

I'm Mac-based myself, and the one thing I will say is I've given up trying to make these forms compatible with Apple's default PDF viewer, "Preview" (which is otherwise great). I don't know why they don't work with it - in the old days (when the OS was "El Capitan" and earlier) they worked well, but when I got a new Mac with... what are we on now, "Mojave"?... various bits don't work any more. The drop-downs are flakey at best, non-functional at worst... and I swear the last time I looked (a few months ago), the text boxes could fit more than one number in them, but yep, you're right, now they don't, making the forms pretty much unusable. Huh :(

Here's what I do:

I use the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to fill out all my EICs, EICRs and MEIWCs. The PDF forms, when displayed on Acrobat, look as they do when designed in OpenOffice. Funnily enough, when I designed the forms, I wanted to be able to fit "60898" in the "BS-EN" box, and "2x2.5" in the conductor details, and ">2000" in the IR boxes, so I made sure they did! :) Quite what Preview is doing to mess it all up, I don't know.

Another issue I've found is that, even if you fill out the form in Acrobat, and "sign" it (so it's no longer editable), and save it... at this point, it should be a fixed PDF... if you then load it into Preview, quite a lot of the fields are blank. The only way I've found that enables me to (a) get the forms to work as intended, and (b) generate a copy that's guaranteed to look as intented when I send to my clients, is:

- fill out the form using Adobe Acrobat, save it before signing it, close the document (in Acrobat)
- use an app called "PDF Printer" which fools Acrobat into thinking you're "printing" the PDF to a printer, but it's actually just a program that generates a proper static PDF
- PDF Printer generates the static PDF, and displays it in Preview, and at this point it looks spot on
- I use Preview to rotate the test results page (so it's in landscape), then save it as "whatever-signed.pdf"

I hate that it doesn't "just work," and I particularly hate that the only way I can get it to work is by downloading the bloated, proprietary Adobe Acrobat reader, the authors of which are so contemptuous of their users that they deliberately disable Apple's buit-in "print to PDF" feature (unless you purchase the full version, of course). I'm using free, open source software to generate the forms (OpenOffice) and I don't know which of the gazillion options to change to make it work just as intended on everything. I don't have access to a Windows computer, or an iPad/iPhone, so I can't see what the forms look like on probably 70% of the devices that people use, I'm afraid. I'm sure if I paid for the full version of Adobe PDF whatever it's called, I'd be able to generate beautiful forms that looked perfect on everything. Ain't gonna happen, though, I'm afraid.

(I hope it's clear from the above that I'm frustrated at things, not people. I tried to make something useful. I'm sorry it's not that simple.)

This is brilliant. I am out today but when I get home I will do that. Thank you so much for your help. :)

Here's what I do:

Any chance I can have the raw file and I'll edit it in Adobe XC. I've bought it specially for this.

You've done an awesome job. Me trying to replicate it from scratch is a week's work. Don't know how you managed find the time AND then work!

Orrrr download Adobe XC free 7 day trial and open it up in that, then export it as a few versions. Upload each to a reply post. And let me download them see which one works for Windows. And then we have have a Downloadable windows one too under your account.

Any chance I can have the raw file and I'll edit it in Adobe XC. I've bought it specially for this.

You've done an awesome job. Me trying to replicate it from scratch is a week's work. Don't know how you managed find the time AND then work!

Orrrr download Adobe XC free 7 day trial and open it up in that, then export it as a few versions. Upload each to a reply post. And let me download them see which one works for Windows. And then we have have a Downloadable windows one too under your account.
I've been tinkering and pondering for much of the day about what the best way of assisting you to do this is. I don't think giving you the OpenOffice files will help much, as they get mangled in Word, and if you try to export them (from OpenOffice) as a static PDF they don't look right, and if you remove the fields (within OpenOffice) it mangles the formatting. In any of these situations you end up doing a lot of messing about.

What I've done, which I think should help, is I've just loaded the fillable forms into Acrobat Reader, and saved them as static (not fillable) PDFs. I've attached these below (but you could do this anyway with the posh, non-free version of Adobe Acrobat).

I think you (or anyone) can use Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (not sure what "XC" is?) to automatically convert these static PDFs to fillable PDFs: How to make a fillable PDF | Adobe Acrobat DC - https://acrobat.adobe.com/uk/en/acrobat/how-to/create-fillable-pdf-forms-creator.html

What would be cool (if the Adobe software can do it), is the ability to make the font smaller as the user fills in a box, so if they want to enter a really long circuit description or BS number, they can. :)

Attachments

• EIC_not_fillable.pdf
    188.4 KB · Views: 17
  • EICR_not_fillable.pdf
    234.5 KB · Views: 25
  • MEIWC_not_fillable.pdf
    49.4 KB · Views: 10
  • test_results_not_fillable.pdf
    37 KB · Views: 9

Reply to EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report): editable PDF based on IET Model form in the Electrician Resources and Downloads area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock