Discuss EICR FI faults holding up Satisfactory certificate. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just had an EICR, and the tester won't provide a satisfactory certificate until FI faults are corrected. These mainly consist of locating circuits that they didn't test.
On the last EICR that took place at my site (17th edition) I recall the rectification of C1 and C2 faults being sufficient. Is this correct?

many thanks

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
FI means further investigation required and gives rise to an unsatisfactory report.

The FI codes will need investigating as could give rise to further works that require remedial action before a satisfactory report can be issued.

Yes an F.I. code warrants an unsatisfactory yet are the matters described above worthy of a F.I. code?

F.I. = where on inspection an issue has revealed a possible problem that due to limitations cannot despite all best efforts be fully inspected at that time and on further investigation could well reveal a C1 or C2.

What was it about those circuits not checked due to limitations that gave reason to believe there could be a C1 or C2 fault present?

QUOTE: The FI codes will need investigating as could give rise to further works that require remedial action before a satisfactory report can be issued.

No EICR should be being done with a view to remedial works!

That pattern of thought needs to stop.

Last edited:
Yes an F.I. code warrants an unsatisfactory yet are the matters described above worthy of a F.I. code?

F.I. = where on inspection an issue has revealed a possible problem that due to limitations cannot despite all best efforts be fully inspected at that time and on further investigation could well reveal a C1 or C2.

What was it about those circuits not checked due to limitations that gave reason to believe there could be a C1 or C2 fault present?
If the circuits couldn't be identified then FI seems entirely fair.

QUOTE: The FI codes will need investigating as could give rise to further works that require remedial action before a satisfactory report can be issued.

No EICR should be being done with a view to remedial works!

That pattern of thought needs to stop.

@JBW175 quote "The FI codes will need investigating as could give rise to further works that require remedial action before a satisfactory report can be issued." is correct. He didn't specify that the 'further work' needs to be carried out by the person doing the test. That's the way a read it.
I suppose it just depends on how you read it..

EDIT: Don't get me wrong mate. I totally agree with you that "No EICR should be being done with a view to remedial works!" being carried out by the tester.

Who said it was unsafe? Fi means further investigation. Nothing implies unsafe.

As I said earlier in this thread:
Quote:

End quote

What's the difference between a limitation, an operational limitation and a Further investigation code?

I have traced unknown circuits that have ended in a cut cable with C1 code due to live parts , if you don’t know what the circuit does you cant say it’s safe
Yes of course because you traced the circuit. That is the point of the inspection - to report on the condition of the electrical installation.
Such takes time and requires that circuits be identified. That is the duty we hold to the client. It is why EICR's cant be 10 minutes in the building to take a picture of the board then fill the rest in once back in the van.

A Further Investigation entry leads to an inspector declaring this electrical installation is not safe for continued use. That should not be because the inspector needs to be away... what with 8 EICR's to do today there ain't time for a proper inspection and report.

Yes of course because you traced the circuit. That is the point of the inspection - to report on the condition of the electrical installation.
Such takes time and requires that circuits be identified. That is the duty we hold to the client. It is why EICR's cant be 10 minutes in the building to take a picture of the board then fill the rest in once back in the van.

A Further Investigation entry leads to an inspector declaring this electrical installation is not safe for continued use. That should not be because the inspector needs to be away... what with 8 EICR's to do today there ain't time for a proper inspection and report.
and of course that cable traced could have been wonderfully terminated in text book style. It is why we trace and not just put F.I. < cos No Time

Nobody has said it is unsafe for continued use. It has been deemed unsatisfactory.

Unsafe and unsatisfactory mean different things.
Oh I see

Ok, Lets pretend. I am the customer you are the electrician.

I need an EICR and I am requesting the report and paying for the inspection. Any relevant questions at this stage you as the electrician would ask. (Extent perhaps - sayin')

6 circuits in the board and out of the 6 you tell me only 4 have been inspected because 2 you could not trace.

Turning to my EICR based on model form which you have completed.
Page 1 lets fill this part in:

'Overall assessment of the installation in terms of its suitability for continued use - SATISFACTORY / UNSATISFACTORY (delete as appropriate)'

What are you going to delete?

Turning to the observations and coding. I see the two circuits you have not identified are coded F. I.
I read the notes and see these are issues that require further investigation WITHOUT DELAY (caps mine).
Sounds serious so I read the notes on the EICR and now ask you a few questions
"Why should these circuits be traced WITHOUT DELAY ?" " I see it says they could be potentially dangerous, what makes you believe they are potentially dangerous?"

I need a SATISFACTORY finding on the EICR (Extent - whats that then) so you agree to come back a second time to trace the circuits you have not traced this time. For a fee (obviously).
Do you start ripping up my new floors, cut holes in my decorated walls and take down sections of ceiling to find these two pesky cables?

Last edited:
Oh I see

Ok, Lets pretend. I am the customer you are the electrician.

I need an EICR and I am requesting the report and paying for the inspection. Any relevant questions at this stage you as the electrician would ask. (Extent perhaps - sayin')

6 circuits in the board and out of the 6 you tell me only 4 have been inspected because 2 you could not trace.

Turning to my EICR based on model form which you have completed.
Page 1 lets fill this part in:

'Overall assessment of the installation in terms of its suitability for continued use - SATISFACTORY / UNSATISFACTORY (delete as appropriate)'

What are you going to delete?

Turning to the observations and coding. I see the two circuits you have not identified are coded F. I.
I read the notes and see these are issues that require further investigation WITHOUT DELAY (caps mine).
Sounds serious so I read the notes on the EICR and now ask you a few questions
"Why should these circuits be traced WITHOUT DELAY ?" " I see it says they could be potentially dangerous, what makes you believe they are potentially dangerous?"

I need a SATISFACTORY finding on the EICR (Extent - whats that then) so you agree to come back a second time to trace the circuits you have not traced this time. For a fee (obviously).
Do you start ripping up my new floors, cut holes in my decorated walls and take down sections of ceiling to find these two pesky cables?
Figuring out you can't trace them is PART OF THE EICR. You're basically saying the whole notion of an FI is wrong. Which makes you wrong, sorry.

Reply to EICR FI faults holding up Satisfactory certificate. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net