Discuss EICR FI faults holding up Satisfactory certificate. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Normally I would use the Electrical Safety First Guidance Note 4 for industry-backed guidance on EICR coding issues.
However, in this instance, there is conflicting guidance between the latest guidance and the previous guidance when it comes to FI codes. This is not at all helpful!

In BPG4 Issue 5 it clearly states that circuits that are not identified and not readily traced would warrant an FI.

Then you get this, directly copied from BPG4 Issue 6:

"FI - Further investigation required without delay.
In a domestic or similar installation, it should
generally be possible to attribute a Classification Code to each observation without the need for further investigation.
No examples of FI codes applicable for domestic and similar installations are given in this guide.
The purpose of periodic inspection, as previously stated, is not to carry out a fault-finding exercise, but to assess and report on the condition of an installation within the agreed extent and limitations of the inspection. Therefore, where an observation can be attributed a Classification Code, further investigation would not be required for the purposes of completing the condition report.
Further investigation should be called for in respect of any observation that could reasonably be expected to reveal danger or potential danger.
Further investigation should not be called for simply because it would be ‘nice to know' – for example, why a socket-outlet is unearthed.
If an observation cannot be attributed a
Classification Code due to reasonable doubt as to whether danger or potential danger exists, the outcome of the assessment must be reported to be unsatisfactory.
The person ordering the report should be advised that the inspection and/or testing has revealed a potential safety issue which could not, due to the agreed extent or limitations of the inspection, be fully determined, and that the issue should be investigated as soon as possible."

Normally I would use the Electrical Safety First Guidance Note 4 for industry-backed guidance on EICR coding issues.
However, in this instance, there is conflicting guidance between the latest guidance and the previous guidance when it comes to FI codes. This is not at all helpful!

In BPG4 Issue 5 it clearly states that circuits that are not identified and not readily traced would warrant an FI.

Then you get this, directly copied from BPG4 Issue 6:

"FI - Further investigation required without delay.
In a domestic or similar installation, it should
generally be possible to attribute a Classification Code to each observation without the need for further investigation.
No examples of FI codes applicable for domestic and similar installations are given in this guide.
The purpose of periodic inspection, as previously stated, is not to carry out a fault-finding exercise, but to assess and report on the condition of an installation within the agreed extent and limitations of the inspection. Therefore, where an observation can be attributed a Classification Code, further investigation would not be required for the purposes of completing the condition report.
Further investigation should be called for in respect of any observation that could reasonably be expected to reveal danger or potential danger.
Further investigation should not be called for simply because it would be ‘nice to know' – for example, why a socket-outlet is unearthed.
If an observation cannot be attributed a
Classification Code due to reasonable doubt as to whether danger or potential danger exists, the outcome of the assessment must be reported to be unsatisfactory.
The person ordering the report should be advised that the inspection and/or testing has revealed a potential safety issue which could not, due to the agreed extent or limitations of the inspection, be fully determined, and that the issue should be investigated as soon as possible."
I don't see the conflict there.

I don't see the conflict there.
No? There's at least an omission from the previous issue. That is, the previous issue stated directly that an untraced circuit should be give an FI code. The current issue states that no examples are given of what would warrant an FI code.

No? There's at least an omission from the previous issue. That is, the previous issue stated directly that an untraced circuit should be give an FI code. The current issue states that no examples are given of what would warrant an FI code.
'Therefore, where an observation can be attributed a Classification Code, further investigation would not be required for the purposes of completing the condition report.'

You can't code what you can't see therefore FI required.

Seeing as I am unable to post in any other thread but this let me end my time here.

Quote:
'You can't code what you can't see therefore FI required.'

Is F.I. not a coding then?

-------

As I have already said; you can't trace a circuit on this EICR thats you are charging the client for. Thus you decide to require a 'Further Investigation' take place at some later point in time and note on the EICR paperwork an F. I. coding.
Tell me, what are you going to do different on those follow up visits to trace the circuits that you could not do on that initial visit?

Oh never mind. Let me end with a regulation.
651.1 (later part). On an EICR you have unknown circuit / circuits as such it would be reasonable to say in this scenario that you have no existing documentation to identify such circuits. Prior to carrying out the EICR what should you do ?

The electrical industry is aiming for the bottom

Seeing as I am unable to post in any other thread but this let me end my time here.

Quote:
'You can't code what you can't see therefore FI required.'

Is F.I. not a coding then?
Call it whatever you like; but it means the EICR is unsatisfactory.
-------

As I have already said; you can't trace a circuit on this EICR thats you are charging the client for. Thus you decide to require a 'Further Investigation' take place at some later point in time and note on the EICR paperwork an F. I. coding.
FI is a perfectly reasonable PART OF AN EICR.
Tell me, what are you going to do different on those follow up visits to trace the circuits that you could not do on that initial visit?
Trace them. And get appropriately paid for doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to EICR FI faults holding up Satisfactory certificate. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net