Discuss EICR For Landlords in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
I am a retired electrician , 17th and 2391
I own a tenanted property which will require an Eicr before April next year or sooner, if I have a change of tenant
I guess I am going to have to pay a registered company to do this, which is I really dont want to do
Which is crazy when I am more than capable,

Is there any way round this , or do I just have to bite the bullet ?

Cheers Phil

Hi
I own a tenanted property which will require an Eicr before April next year or sooner, if I have a change of tenant
I guess I am going to have to pay a registered company to do this, which is I really dont want to do

Cheers Phil

Good day Phil
My understanding is that the EICR will be required on change or renewal of tenancy or by April 2021 - whichever is first. It is also the case that the qualification for an EICR is that the person carrying out the testing/certification is suitably qualified and experienced rather than belonging to a CPS. May be worth looking that up. Other consideration though is insurance. I have Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurances to cover me should I get it work in a really big way. So I think you have to weight up the pros and cons and decide which is a best fit for you.

Best

Peter

Hi Phil,
Do a bit of reading on the 18th and what the differences from the 17th are, download a model form (There are some on here) and do it yourself. Your probably more competent than most who will be doing these tests anyway Just by having the 2391. Any questions just ask on here, I’m sure there are people who will give an old boy a nudge in the right direction on here if you have any queries ?

Hi Phil,
Do a bit of reading on the 18th and what the differences from the 17th are, download a model form (There are some on here) and do it yourself. Your probably more competent than most who will be doing these tests anyway Just by having the 2391. Any questions just ask on here, I’m sure there are people who will give an old boy a nudge in the right direction on here if you have any queries ?
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the replies guys
Yes I will do a bit more reading
The house had been rewired to to the 17th when I got it ,but did need some remediable work
I am confident I can inspect it to the 18th, (have to get my qualifying supervisors head back on) its just the legality that I am unsure of

Cheers

So

If you were a QS aswell you should have no issues. Have a read up on the 17th Edition Amm3 aswell if your retired prior to 2015 as that includes the whole metal consumer unit ordeal.
Try not to read the masses of other EICR posts were currently having and there are a lot of dodgy code suggestions knocking about.

I'm wondering what your insurance company (for your rented property) might say about you carrying out the EICR on your property, and whether they could be sure it was an unbiased opinion? Not saying you would not record things correctly, but do you get what I'm saying. Its not like an EIC, its your professional opinion and some here recommend having professional indemnity insurance to carry our EICR's

Have you asked them?

I'm wondering what your insurance company (for your rented property) might say about you carrying out the EICR on your property, and whether they could be sure it was an unbiased opinion? Not saying you would not record things correctly, but do you get what I'm saying. Its not like an EIC, its your professional opinion and some here recommend having professional indemnity insurance to carry our EICR's

Have you asked them?

Yes thats a thought , but they never ask about the annual Gas test ,which of course I have done

As already mentioned by Taylortwocities, the best practice guide #4 has a lot of useful information in it.

A lot of those codes are not likely to come up on something that was rewired to 17th but you might find a couple of points that would result in a C3, or maybe just a C2 (which would require correction as a landlord) for bathroom related stuff, etc.
[automerge]1593863265[/automerge]
More than likely it would be a lack of RCD protection, but if you have a new-ish CU then changing to RCBO for those circuits, etc, may correct things.

As already mentioned by Taylortwocities, the best practice guide #4 has a lot of useful information in it.

A lot of those codes are not likely to come up on something that was rewired to 17th but you might find a couple of points that would result in a C3, or maybe just a C2 (which would require correction as a landlord) for bathroom related stuff, etc.
[automerge]1593863265[/automerge]
More than likely it would be a lack of RCD protection, but if you have a new-ish CU then changing to RCBO for those circuits, etc, may correct things.
Yes I may have a read of the 18th and add some RCBO,s as its just a single RCB split board just to update it a bit. But wait until things get back to normal before I do

Yes I may have a read of the 18th and add some RCBO,s as its just a single RCB split board just to update it a bit. But wait until things get back to normal before I do
Depending on space it might be simpler to make it in to a dual RCD split board then all circuits will have RCD protection and that ought to eliminate that sort of issue to be corrected.

Worth checking the leakage per circuit first, and making sure there is no "borrowed neutral" in any upstairs/downstairs lighting arrangements.

Have you asked them?
The problem with asking the insurance company is that they might say no. As long as there's nothing in the 'small print' about not being the tester and the policy holder, if that was me, I'd carry on. There's certainly nothing in BS7671 against it, nor in any statutory document.

The problem with asking the insurance company is that they might say no. As long as there's nothing in the 'small print' about not being the tester and the policy holder, if that was me, I'd carry on. There's certainly nothing in BS7671 against it, nor in any statutory document.

The problem with not asking the insurance company, is they might say no, when making a claim. My point is nothing to do with BS7671 nor similar documents, statutory or otherwise. The insurance company may have no objections.

If I was the prospective tenant, I would not be comfortable with the landlord carry out his or her own safety testing, just to save money. I would want such testing carried out by an independent person or company, no offence meant @philich.

From the RLA web site:

Can I self-certify the property? If you are qualified to check installations to the 18th Edition of the Wiring Regulations and provide a report on it then yes you should be able to self-certify. However, if there are any issues with the property upon inspection by a local authority you would likely be in a worse position than someone who had a qualified person perform the inspection for them.

Depending on space it might be simpler to make it in to a dual RCD split board then all circuits will have RCD protection and that ought to eliminate that sort of issue to be corrected.

Worth checking the leakage per circuit first, and making sure there is no "borrowed neutral" in any upstairs/downstairs lighting arrangements.
Thats a good point , that cold be a pain

Hi

Cheers Phil
Hi Phil,

This may sound mad, but when I moved to the Scottish islands a few years ago, I kept my mainland property and rented it out. The number of checks it had to go through caught me by surprise - EICR, PAT, Energy Performance, Gas Cert, Smoke alarms and heat sensors, and Legionnaires check.

I initially conducted my own EICR, but then considered potential legal wrangles further down the line around conflict of interests, plus I only do a few jobs year. So I had an electrician (that I didn't know) carryout a full EICR, which I paid for - he wasn't aware of my background.

Was it worth it? Yes it was nice to have a different set of eyes look over your work and to see stuff he picked up as recommendations that I had overlooked.

If I was the prospective tenant, I would not be comfortable with the landlord carry out his or her own safety testing, just to save money. I would want such testing carried out by an independent person or company, no offence meant

And you are entitled to that opinion, but it would be irrelevant, tenants don't get to choose who carries out work on behalf of the landlord.
If they did then I'd be insisting that my landlord gets a qualified professional in to fix things instead of having a go at it himself. Instead I have resorted to fixing things myself

When I became a landlord I paid a company to do an electrical inspection. They were so good that they managed to issue a certificate without getting keys to the property. After that I updated my qualifications and now do my own inspections. Never had an issue with the tenants and I know it is done right.

Reply to EICR For Landlords in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock