Discuss EICR Foster carer in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I qualified back in July this year. Have been unable to find a job so have started up on my own.

I have done many EICR and always used the free downloadable forms as I am not a member of NIC or Elecsa yet. My work has mainly been for landlords and I get advice/help off a retired spark when I need to do Minor non notifiable works. I am doing this to save up for my own house rewire and tools ect. I dont want to join a scheme until my own house is near completion.

My question is: A foster carer as asked me to inspect her installation and certify its safety. As its for the council and more hoops to jump through do I need to be registered with a scheme?

Last edited:
No you do not need to be registered via a part p scheme to do the EICR
The council may request an approved company do the cert but at the end of the day you are the liable one if you miss something and then something bad happens, not the Council
(around my way the councils are fine it just the university that only allow NICEIC certs which i think is bloody wrong)

They asked for NIC but would accept elecsa. I think its stupid too especially when I am up against people who charge £50 for an EICR. If I have to add on £444 to my overheads I would lose more jobs. Ive had to let that job go unfortunately as they insisted.

They asked for NIC but would accept elecsa. I think its stupid too especially when I am up against people who charge £50 for an EICR. If I have to add on £444 to my overheads I would lose more jobs. Ive had to let that job go unfortunately as they insisted.

Really, surely you'd get more work?

Reply to EICR Foster carer in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net