Discuss EICR guru's required in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi and good evening to all, I have just completed my 4th domestic EICR and I love the challenge discovering how someone has wired a system and how its been tampered with over the years. Having passed my 2394 2395 I feel I know enough theory but lack the expertise and would love some feedback from the experienced elders!
My lastest EICR was on a 4 bedroom victorian house wired 15-20ish years ago with no certs available.(Hager split load) The inspection lasted around 6 hours and flagged up some interesting results. First of I would like to list the order I approached the house.

1)Talk to owner establish history-type of use before they bought it and additions or faults they know about. Lock dogs away!

2)Determine locations of CCU and gas water services.

3)Visual inspection of CCU type and quantity of circuits. (decipher some scribbles)

4)Walk around property to visually check circuits + fittings + VSE - agree LIM's with owner

5)record circuits on paperwork and determine max Zs of each circuit

6)Let the owner know electrics will be off. Find out if labels on CCU match circuits by isolating a circuit at a time

7)Safely isolate whole system followed by a visual check of 50% of sockets and lights and switches - increase if problems found

8)Ze test and equal-potential bonding + polarity of incoming supply +all mcbs in line phase only + PSSFC PEFC

9)link out busbar and earth to perform R1+R2 on radial circuits (testing at furthest point if known) check polarity

10)ringmain end to end test then method 2 using a wander lead for R2 reading

11)insulation test on whole install if possible aware of any LIMs and VSE

12)Zs on each circuit and socket

13)RCD test followed by Ramp and functional.

14)replace all VSE equipment

AS experienced elders do you concentrate on one circuit at a time or perform each step on all circuits?

Having read many of the posts concerning EICR's some people state the wiring should not be disturbed - step 10 would then be impossible. What are your thoughts?
Having bought the new megger which can perform R1+R2 on a energised circuit would this be acceptable when the lovely inspectors come out to watch me?

The inspection progressed quiet smoothly until I found 2 circuits with no terminators (old shower and immersion heater removed with the circuits still energised) Then a broken ring popped up so I noted on TestS open r1 r2 rn.
Then the fun really started when the owner mentioned the light bulbs keep blowing regularly. At the switches R2 was fine but showing open at the light fittings. Noted on TestS. When the system was re-energised I performed the Zs at the light switches as no CPC at fitting. I doubled checked with my tester and found the light phase was showing 123Volts and voltage also showing on the neutral. How would this be possible? In series with other lights?
When performing a EICR and you find a fault do you dig around or just note it down and pass on your recommendations.
The owner has asked me to come back and rectify the problems, do you normally charge an investigation fee to determine the faults and then a separate quote to perform any remedial works?

Looking forward to your replies .:wink5:

Richard G, this is the first post I've seen of yours and I like you already.

Look at it this way and tell your customer the same.

Code 1 = Get it sorted or it could hurt or kill someone.

Code 2 = Its ok for now but can/will hurt or kill someone.

Code 3 = Leave it until you can afford to sort it out before it hurts or kills someone.

Richard it seems that you have your head screwed on and only you can make the call. Make that call and sleep well at night knowing that you've done your job.

Hahaha this all depends on the size of your heart and the owners of the house ? If they are struggling , old , young sexy female lol. You do what you think is fair I hope. As for all your problems well your the spark it should be no problem for you to work out and fix when your there with your meters.
But found it strange you estimate the age of installation as 10-15 years with split load I would have thought it would have been newer.

I think he will do alright for some strange reason VJ.

As for it being 10-15 years old well.... I did a quote at 8pm tonight for all kinds of bits and peaces and halve of them is to sort out the rewire he had done in 2006 as per the NIC sticker on the cu, so thats nowt to go by.

or possibly a high resistance connection between the point where the voltage is present and the N back to CU????

sorry if im missing something as i am new but in point 10 you mention doing your end to end on your ring main then using a wander lead to obtain your R2, just wandering if this is acceptable as i have never seen it in any publications and never heard of this method being used on a ring main

Hi Wigan welcome to the forum.

Yes that method is ok. Doing you r1, rn and r2 is just confirming that you do indeed have a RFC. It is when you then go onto to do your R1 + R2 that you confirm CPC continuity.

As the OP stated he took the Zs reading in point 5 which I assume was a "LIVE" test, and then the R2 for CPC continuity

Have to admit I find it strange that if your doing an R1+R2 for radials as in point 9, why not for your rings.

Thanks for that Malcom (glad i didnt get riddled with bullets for asking a stupid question)

Thats the bit what confused me, never seen this method before and GN3 doesnt mention it this way so was just checking, learn something new everyday

Step 10 is often not performed, and cables not disturbed, because it's not necessary to record R1 or R2 on an EICR.
Usually a Zs test is conducted at each socket-outlet and then if problems are indicated, further testing is conducted.
I would conduct a 100% visual check on sockets and switches, rather than only 50%. That's my personal preference, and I think it's something advised in GN3, with a sampling of the internal condition of the sockets and switches.

Yes spin this was highlighted on my Niceic annual assessment this year that GN3 states that a Zs reading at a socket outlet is an adequate way of confirming an earth is present and R1/R2 is not required, didnt stop him making me do it though ha

Looks good to me M8 and you haven't rushed it like some cowboys.

Unless old test certs are available to compare I always test 100% of the installation as if it was a new job its the only way you can fill that form in and know I have not missed everything

Sounds to me like you know what you are doing, and go about it in the right manner.

You have no obligation to repair anything. you are being paid to inspect and test, don't get sucked into working for nothing.

You have a duty of care to inform the client of any dangerous conditions that may arise. He is paying you to do this.

How you want to conduct your testing is up to you and your preference, we are all different. You seem to have done it all, and you will develop own way, skills and speed as you gain experience, then you will be able to give us the benefit of your experience.

I always did a full visual inspection (as you should) this gave me a feel for the install, and then did the Ze, then worked out what fuse etc did what. I preferred to turn them all off, then turn one at a time on to see what worked. I prefer this way, as i have come across a lot of circuits like rings, fed from 2 sources, and this way shows it up straight away, i also found it easier to mark up the fuses correctly doing it this way as well.

Then i got into dead testing circuit by circuit, live testing all together after completion of dead testing, paperwork, and home.

As for charging for remedial work, this is a bit awkkard, so i tried to offset the repairs that i knew could get time consuming, by increasing the cost of the easy quick fixes, and give a price for the whole lot. I lost on a few, but i won more than i lost.

Cheers..........Howard

That sounds like good advice cobrauk I will try and keep to 100% on installs without certificates.
I have been requested to complete all remedial work, so time for me to climb into the loft and follow the trail of evidence. Some members mentioned the age, this was from information gleaned from the house sale particulars which the previous owner recorded.
The distributors earth cable from the MET to the supply cable is undersized (10mm) with no protective sheath(TN-S). The Ze is 0.21 well within limits, Do you record to cover your self as C3?
THankyou for all your feedback - looking forward to some exploratory work in the loft:21:

That sounds like good advice cobrauk I will try and keep to 100% on installs without certificates.
I have been requested to complete all remedial work, so time for me to climb into the loft and follow the trail of evidence. Some members mentioned the age, this was from information gleaned from the house sale particulars which the previous owner recorded.
The distributors earth cable from the MET to the supply cable is undersized (10mm) with no protective sheath(TN-S). The Ze is 0.21 well within limits, Do you record to cover your self as C3?
THankyou for all your feedback - looking forward to some exploratory work in the loft:21:

Are you sure that 10mm main earthing conductor is under size? If you have problems with anything to do with the supply, then you need to contact DNO and get it sorted. As for unsheathed earth cable, then wrap it in insulation tape, if DNO have to come and change it, they will bung a bit of 16mm single core Green/Yellow in anyway, so job sorted.

I ask about the 10mm, cos you dont want to look daft, if someone turns up, does the adiabatic, and you look like a turkey.

Cheers............Howard

100% inspection on an EICR in an occupied domestic property!!!? Blimey if only!! That is living in a perfect world, and how much do you charge to perform that? You would never make an honest living attempting a 100% inspection for the price of a normal EICR for the time it would take. Normally an EICR is carried out with 20-30% dismount of accessories and inspections per circuit. This is then recorded in the extent and limitations box on the cert. Further investigation is advised if doubt exists on the soundness of a circuit or if access is restricted. A price should then be agreed with the client and arrangements made to further investigate and access the suspected departure/ deficiency.

Reply to EICR guru's required in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net