Discuss EICR - I completed all remedial works now being told he needs to do a full test again in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Shooze

DIY
Reaction score
Hey all,

Could do with some help.

I had a company recommended to me who quoted me to do an EICR on my rental property. (£265). I thought this was quite expensive but as I've been messed around no end by tradesmen I thought I'd go with the recommendation and pay the extra.

I also asked him to give me a quote on fitting two wired smoke alarms which he said he couldn't do until he had seen the house.

A date was arranged which I was away for. I have to be honest I even forgot he was going but it was arranged with the tenant.

That evening he sent me an invoice for £698 - £440 to install two AICO radio link alarms around 1.5m from the nearest light. At no point did he ring with a quote or contact me at all. Just went ahead and installed them without giving a quote. Not sure where I stand on that really?? If I didn't specifically say to install them and agree a price? He's been paid so it's irrelevant really, I'd just like to know where I would stand.

I appealed to him saying this seemed vastly expensive and he basically said there's nothing he could do bar come and take them out (charging me labour to do so) and refund me the alarm money only, so Id have paid for installation and removal 😆
On proving to him I could buy the alarms for £90 each he agreed to knock £50 off and has now been paid as I mentioned.

Secondly the house had a few C2s on some things. Mainly unearthed metal faceplates (although the backplate is earthed), a 100ma RCD instead of a 30ma one, some burnt shower wiring etc.

I am fairly competent at basic electrics so I did all of that and told him it was ready for the inspection again.

He recons as I've changed the RCD myself this means he has to charge in full (another £265) for a full inspection as the circuits have been "extensively changed" by me?? Is this right?? Surely he can see its just a swapped RCD?

Lastly, he C2d the kitchen downlighters for not being fire rated. As I understand it this is a C3 recommendation looking at the code book? The house is all one living space. The kitchen has the stairwell in it so there's no barrier to upstairs really anyway.

Appreciate any help

Last edited:
Are you sure that you weren't recommended not to use this company

It would seem that you have been taken for a ride with regard to the alarms but as he was only instructed to provide a quote that is what he should have done

You make no mention of whether he quoted for the remedial work required following the EICR, you have carried out the remedial work so have you carried out the required testing to prove it is safe, while it might seem unfair I can understand both sides of the argument regarding the retest / remedial work checks as it would be prudent to recheck everything to prove no other works have been carried out that would possibly slip under the radar and later cause issues

a futt EICR is not needed. at least a MWC would be required to show that the remedials had been carried out in accordance with regulations. this would involve some level of circuit testing. maybe OP has not got the equipment or expertise? the downlights not being fire rared, OP is correct. C3 at worst.

The mistake you are making is referring your remedial work back to the original electrician for his approval. He did the original EICR, listed the C2s, and that is the end of his involvement if he is not doing the remedials.
You did the remedials, so you are responsible for the testing and paperwork involved with them, and for attaching this to the EICR.

I'm sure the regulations used to be very unclear about the remedial work, and merely state that the landlord needed written confirmation that all remedial works had been carried out.

However, looking at The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/312/regulation/3

it now says:

(4) Where a report under sub-paragraph (3)(a) indicates that a private landlord is or is potentially in breach of the duty under sub-paragraph (1)(a) and the report requires the private landlord to undertake further investigative or remedial work, the private landlord must ensure that further investigative or remedial work is carried out by a qualified person within—
(a)28 days; or
(b)the period specified in the report if less than 28 days,
starting with the date of the inspection and testing.
(5) Where paragraph (4) applies, a private landlord must—
(a)obtain written confirmation from a qualified person that the further investigative or remedial work has been carried out and that—
(i)the electrical safety standards are met; or
(ii)further investigative or remedial work is required;
(b)supply that written confirmation, together with a copy of the report under sub-paragraph (3)(a) which required the further investigative or remedial work to each existing tenant of the residential premises within 28 days of completion of the further investigative or remedial work; and
(c)supply that written confirmation, together with a copy of the report under sub-paragraph (3)(a) which required the further investigative or remedial work to the local housing authority within 28 days of completion of the further investigative or remedial work.

Which isn't the same as requiring a certificate, but is stating that it must be done by a qualified person. Not sure if this is a recent change, as I'm sure it didn't used to say that....

It also says:

(6) Where further investigative work is carried out in accordance with paragraph (4) and the outcome of that further investigative work is that further investigative or remedial work is required, the private landlord must repeat the steps in paragraphs (4) and (5) in respect of that further investigative or remedial work.

Which suggests you could keep finding someone to give an FI and reset the 28 days, though presumably after 5 or so attempts you'd hope someone would find the problem!

So that might mean that the OP does need someone to give confirmation of the changes, though that doesn't need to be a full EICR.

Might almost be worth getting one of those nasty £85 drive by jobs just to get the certificate!

Yes, the the person doing the remedials needs to be competent, but there is no legal definition of such a person, so by doing the work I assume he is making a self declaration of competence.

Reply to EICR - I completed all remedial works now being told he needs to do a full test again in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock