Discuss EICR in a commercial premises, no RCD protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BBDESIGN

we are currently completing an EICR on a currently redundant ambulance station soon to be re-opened.
The budget for the works is very tight after reading the scope, the PC for the job has said if items do not need upgrading then do not do them.

the scope stats the consumer units should be upgraded due to lack of rcd's and this will cause it to fail and EICR.

i know from previous PIR's this is not the case.

you do not need the installation to be up to current regs as long as its safe.

we have been asked to install a new kitchen ring so i know we need an rcd for this,
need some guidance on cheapest methods of going about this to safe the PC money and for us to not recommend work that will not need doing.

a suggestion was made to use dual rcd boards, but in commercial properties i prefer individual RCBO'S but again this increases costs.

help??

Your making your report to current regulations...

Why do they say it needs upgrading. If it is for socket outlets for general use (but not outside use) then this would just be a C3.

Have a look at the ESC best practice guide for EICR codings...

"If they are installed to a previous edition of regulations then that's ok' ( I know my quote is not word for word). BUT, do you have the testing records from when it was installed to the previous edition?

Wilts wholesaler, "CONTROL GEAR" boards, 14 way, with main switch and 8 RCBOs, £99+ the inevitable VAT, I'm sure that money in the PC isn't that tight!!!

In commercial premises if your installing RCD then RCBO's are a must forget your dual RCD boards pain in the but and could be very costly if they trip

But a breaker isn't designed to and would never be expected to.

An mcb or fuse detects overcurrent or fault current flowing through the line and then disconnects the line.

A SP RCBO detects a fault between neutral and earth and then disconnects the line! What the hell does that achieve, the fault is still there and just as much diverted neutral current will be making toast of that cable.

agree with above, but the prime purpose of a RCD/RCBO is additional protection for a situation where a person is in contact with a live part. 9 time out of 10, this would be a live part connected to the line conductor or that conductor itself. by disconnecting the line conductor from the supply, the danger is removed. it's going to be a rare occurence for the N to pose a danger if the L is dissed.

You can get substantial currents in a N→E fault. Not necessarily from the circuit involved. The SP RCBO will detect but not disconnect the fault whereas SPSN or DP will.

Under no circumstances should SP RCBO’s alone be used on a TT supply. I know it’s not the case here, I’m making the point.
How many times do we get threads on here “I’m changing a CU on a TT supply”? Members blithely come back with “fit RCBO’s”. The worse advice that could be given unless the type is specified.

Tel, you of all people should appreciate the problem.

You can get substantial currents in a N→E fault.

Being lazy here...
Assuming negligible conductor impedances, am I right in saying that half of the installation current would be flowing through the faulty circuit's cpc and off down the supply Earth?

Could be interesting with a 1 mil cpc.

In the ideal world with as you say negligible impedance then yes, half the current would take the N→E rout.
I don’t know about a 1mm CPC, it would become a fuse.

I know you’ve read the article about transformers elsewhere. I explained why impedance is introduced in to the star point of MV transformers. The N→E fault level could be of such magnitude as to melt the cable lead sheath and armourings.

Reply to EICR in a commercial premises, no RCD protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net