Discuss EICR @ Industrial Installations in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

David M

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
So I go and install a new socket circuit this week in an industrial warehouse. The job is straight forward enough. Surface mounted metal socket outlet fed using a short run of swa from a local db board. Anyhow just before I began testing the new circuit I asked the maintenance spark if he had any previous Reports/schedules or test results for the db board. He looked at me with a vacant stare then asked "what for? We don't do any testing we don't need to, that's what Mike told us" (Mike being the maintenance & health and safety manager). This warehouse is a busy environment, full of packers and pickers. I noticed quite a few issues with the existing installation as it is dated and ideally requires some rectification.

How would you good folk go about this situation? I would like to raise my concerns, but this is a new client and I would like to build a relationship with the maintenance guys who I may have to work along side of on future projects.

I am not a good business man, such as one who would probably have been saying that they cannot legally do the socket install without upgrading the entire installation to current standards, however if I were interested in addressing these issues I would tend to put a note in my covering letter/email.
Something along the lines of a question about preventative maintenance.
"Having now worked on the electrical installation at your company I have noted that there are some aspects that may cause safety concerns and I wondered if you would be interested in my coming in to assist you in classifying these items in order to prevent any chance of hazards manifesting themselves.
At the least I would advise that a formal inspection and test would go along way to ensure health and safety compliance and allow you the chance to resolve these problems.
The items initially noted were..."

Thanks for the reply Richard, Yes I was think something along similar lines to yourself. What I wanted to be clear about is how that company stands from a HSE point of view. In that what requirements are the legally obliged to observe in order to comply with the health and safety regulations. What paper work should they hold or obtain?

Has Mike the H&S manager ever issued a H&S Policy, that policy should include preventative maintenance for all equipment not the just the electrical installations, I don't think the maintenance guys would be upset with you, the only person you would be upsetting would be the H&S Manager

The H&S side of things can be a legal nightmare and it would be explained very clearly by the prosecution when they arrive in court!

Effectively the management must ensure the safety of their employees; in relation to an electrical installation it must be maintained in a state that is safe for continued use and does not pose a risk to staff (or visitors).
If they have records of continuous maintenance then this is acceptable, however records are required.

In general the cheapest way of complying is to have a regular electrical inspection done, this will not address problems that arise but will demonstrate that the installation is safe (if there are no observations) at the time of inspection. Any changes made to the installation should also have records kept to show that the changes were safe.

He must comply with the E&WR 1989, this is a legal requirement, if you see any damaged equipment then they are not complying and in theory could be fined for each noncompliance. You say the warehouse is full of pickers, sounds more commercial than industrial. Go back in a couple of weeks and the socket you fitted will probably be broken.

Thanks guys for your reply's its given me food for thought and I'll look into it some more

Much appreciated
David

was there not and priodic stickers on any of the existing d.b.'s with address stickers ?

was there not and priodic stickers on any of the existing d.b.'s with address stickers ?
Yes but a variety, with different dates and different company names. I have since been back and on closer inspection on one particular db came across a sticker dated 2012. As yet this appears to be the most recent

Rodger the maintenance electrician may only atend to the machine lines.Recommend thay EICR needs to be carried out and point out diptamaticaly regarding observations on existing You may be able to get info from the other EICR electrical contractors may give info

For some reason I can't quote.
Your post says it all really . They have probably ignored the first report , then the next, then...
Something will have to happen before that gets sorted then the sparky and Mike can argue what exactly was said and whose fault it was that previous recommendations have been ignored.
We all know when inspections do not need to be carried out , I doubt this place qualifies according to the comments.

Reply to David's post , computer is acting up.

Reply to EICR @ Industrial Installations in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock