Discuss EICR Issues in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jamieblade1

Hi Guys,

Quick question. I've just gone to a job that someone has apparently carried out an EICR. The test results and visual inspection were completely false. I carried out another EICR and found several C1's and C2's. The customer isn't happy and wants to take legal action. What advice can I give them? He wants the 'electrician' to pay for all the works that I've quoted for. The certificate issued was a Non-Registered NIC Certificate.

Cheers

you give him your report and then it's down to him what he does.

The ONLY thing your customer can also do is report the "other spark" to Trading Standards.

They may not act on 1 report of dubious workmanship, but if they get several reports things may change.

I think that all the customer can realistically expect is his money back, unless he has suffered from the electricians action.
The Nic will be interested in the fraudulent use of their logo and name.

Last edited:
Thanks. The certificate was one of those green forms which you can pick up over the internet without being a scheme member. They have my EICR now and it outlines all of the faults I found. The customer is quite old that's why I was asking for advice as I wasn't too sure.

Thanks. The certificate was one of those green forms which you can pick up over the internet without being a scheme member. They have my EICR now and it outlines all of the faults I found. The customer is quite old that's why I was asking for advice as I wasn't too sure.

My mistake then, he wasn't claiming to be nic,
Not much to be done really then, he's been had.

Hi Guys,

Quick question. I've just gone to a job that someone has apparently carried out an EICR. The test results and visual inspection were completely false. I carried out another EICR and found several C1's and C2's. The customer isn't happy and wants to take legal action. What advice can I give them? He wants the 'electrician' to pay for all the works that I've quoted for. The certificate issued was a Non-Registered NIC Certificate.

Cheers

I'm not too sure how you can tell if someone if registered or not from an EICR report. Plus you dont need to be registered to do an EICR so I dont think its too naughty to use their EICR form, although probably better to use the IET ones and then you can be sure you are not doing anything wrong.

As for your report, I would just do your report and leave it up to the customer if they want you to carry out the work. It's not really any of your business regarding the other electricians EICR. I suppose you could just say to the customer he/she could contact NICEIC if they want but thats as much as I would get involved as it is the customers responsibility.

The ONLY thing your customer can also do is report the "other spark" to Trading Standards.

They may not act on 1 report of dubious workmanship, but if they get several reports things may change.

Nice to see you back after your holiday Murdoch :smile:

Oh and the 'electrician' is registered with the NICEIC under the Domestic Installer scheme. But they can't do EICR in that scope can they? Which is probably why he's used the non registered forms. Anyway I've left it up to the customer now, was just trying to help her out a little as she was confused. Thanks for your help.

Oh and the 'electrician' is registered with the NICEIC under the Domestic Installer scheme. But they can't do EICR in that scope can they? Which is probably why he's used the non registered forms. Anyway I've left it up to the customer now, was just trying to help her out a little as she was confused. Thanks for your help.

Nothing stopping any electrician performing an EICR, just that his scheme will not offer a warranty as it it outside his membership scope as you say. Most electricians carrying out EICRs will have insurance that performs this purpose.

There is, to my knowledge, ANY requirement for any one doing EICR's to have any formal qualifications other than competence.

The scams have conjured up a new "membership" requirement to generate cash as they do nothing to police the activities of their members.

just saying

Out of interest what are the several C1's you found.
Also as others have said as long as you have done your report, and are happy with it that's as far as you need to go.
The customer is the one who needs to take this further if he so wishes.
Personally he should be glad you covered his installation with a proper report, and see it as a lesson learnt.
Unfortunately I don't think the other sparks (if you can call him that) will give a dam, those type rarely do.

Must admit I have seen more C3s issued as 2s and even 1s than I've had hot dinners.
I take that back !! Just seen my belly in the mirror !!!

Examples.
Rewire-able fuses in fuse box Code 2 :freak:
Gas bond too small Code 1 :nonod:

And yet there were 2 blanks missing from the board and they weren't even mentioned :rolleyes4::rolleyes4::nonod:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

Cheers

How are we to know which one of you has got it right?

Reply to EICR Issues in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock