Discuss EICR - Landlord wants to change CU and retest after EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've done a few EICRs for a landlord and the latest one of his I've given an unsatisfactory, I've advised changing the CU - existing one is old and cracked, earthing needs upgrading and no RCD amongst other things. He has a "handyman" who I often work alongside with and seems a bit overly keen doing electrical work despite not being a spark or Part P. Yesterday when I spoke to him it seems the landlord for whatever reason isn't too keen on upgrading the CU even though he seems to have had it done in his other properties within last 5 years. He said he has a spare board lying around from a few years back (not seen it so no idea if it's suitable or compliant) and suggested fitting it himself then getting me back to test and issue a satisfactory report. Obviously explained that it would require an EIC and needs to be signed off which I'm not prepared to do for work that isn't mine. He's going to speak to the landlord again and get back to me but I'm tempted not to have anything more to do with this. Am I unreasonable to not even issue another EICR when the work required for improvement hasn't been registered?

Issue that eicr and get paid, pop a quote for the works that need doing in your view to get it to a satisfactory report in with it.....let him do what he wants and if he calls you back after the handyman has had a crack at it tell him all you can do is another eicr, and the outcome will be relevant to your findings..

Landlords are tight and don’t like spending money. If they’ve got enough cash to afford several rental properties, then they can most definitely afford to pay you to do the work properly.

As above, stress that the work is notifiable and let him know you won’t be doing it unless you complete the work.

Is this so?
For something known to be installed against regulations at the time, using a component (the CU) not to sufficient (fire-rated) standard?
I'd agree - something unsatisfactory at the time of installation would not meet the test. If I installed a system using bare wire on wood runners in accordance to the 1st edition, not in a million years it would never scrape a c3!!

Is this so?
For something known to be installed against regulations at the time, using a component (the CU) not to sufficient (fire-rated) standard?
This sort of thing could be noted in the Report if one wanted to do so, but it’s not a fail on safety grounds. Its likely uninsurable, if they only knew.

Personally I’d be thinking not to have any further involvement as one tends to get caught up in it all “well you did This at Property A, why won’t you That at Property B, It’s not much worse surely“. Don’t ask me how I know...

If you have a pic of the existing busted plastic CU, keep it :) .

Go direct to the LL and explain the situation fully preferably in writing.
Don't be dictated to by a handyman! You know as a spark, the legalities of replacement CU's.

Awkward though if you still want to work for the LL.

Landlords are tight and don’t like spending money. If they’ve got enough cash to afford several rental properties, then they can most definitely afford to pay you to do the work properly.

As above, stress that the work is notifiable and let him know you won’t be doing it unless you complete the work.
There are a lot of landlords that use other peoples money to finance their property empires

As a former landlord I want to point out that some landlords are very conscientious.
I made a point of ensuring my tenants were provided with high-quality accommodation in a safe environment. The Scottish legislation required this, and personally I wanted to make sure the tenants were as safe as my own family, and some. Yes, it costs money to keep properties in top condition, to have the electrics checked and appliances tested, proper smoke alarms etc. but given all these costs amount to less than a month's rent and is deductible for tax, there is no excuse except greed.
I also represented other landlords, and if they could not produce the required EPC, electrical certificate, gas certificate, ISITEE and Legionella Assessment, plus proof of registration with the Local Authority, I declined their business. Sadly, with the availability of valid tenancy agreements online, some unscrupulous landlords take advantage of the tenants who are not aware of the regulations and are desperate to find a home, thus can skirt round the rules, pocket the rent and ignore their responsibilities, whilst producing valid leases. Recently, government legislation has meant that many resposible landlords have left the marketplace, so that the cowboys have cashed in on rental portfolios, and continue to exploit the vulnerable. Had those tax changes and others not been made law, the good guys would have continued to provide excellent homes. I've said enough...

Lets face it we never know what has happened before we set foot on the property, a landlord/tenant could have replaced a light/socket, installed a 'spurred' light or socket or even replaced a CU (or got his handyman to do it for him) the week or day before! Judging by some we've looked at it has probably happened.
We take each installation at face value and code accordingly and perhaps that is what the OP should do here but definitely not succumb to the handyman and issue EIC/Part P for his work!

Reply to EICR - Landlord wants to change CU and retest after EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock