Discuss EICR lighting not on RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TheCodboy

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, as many of us are probably getting lots of EICR's to do on rental properties, I'm just wondering what you guys are coding non RCD circuits, especially Lighting. As we know,new circuits have to be 30mA covered but the older installs didn't. Personally I'm coding C3 for lighting, Immersion spurs etc. Now, what about cables at less than 50mm without protection etc. If they are in a plasterboard wall, or capped and skimmed over these might not meet the requirements and therefore possibly a C2. We cant really verify whether they are deep enough or mechanically protected. I was always told that you can't make presumptions and assume its worst case. Do you agree with this? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Pffft. My NIC inspector agrees with me.

???
[automerge]1594920189[/automerge]
What does your Codebreaker book say about No 30mA RCD protection to domestic lighting circuits or No 30mA RCD protection to socket outlet rates 32A or less?
I think it’s C3, but again you’ve gotta use your own judgement really. I had a call from someone who had drilled through a switch drop. He had 3 goes at it in a line. Kept hitting the capping and in the 3rd go decided to push a bit harder and finally went through and nipped the cable. It’s people like this that concern me....

cables i walls, not complying with 522.6 ( RCD or earthed protextuion), C3 if in prescribed zones, if diagilonal or out of zones, C2. exsxuse beer fingres.

Hi all, as many of us are probably getting lots of EICR's to do on rental properties, I'm just wondering what you guys are coding non RCD circuits, especially Lighting. As we know,new circuits have to be 30mA covered but the older installs didn't. Personally I'm coding C3 for lighting, Immersion spurs etc. Now, what about cables at less than 50mm without protection etc. If they are in a plasterboard wall, or capped and skimmed over these might not meet the requirements and therefore possibly a C2. We cant really verify whether they are deep enough or mechanically protected. I was always told that you can't make presumptions and assume its worst case. Do you agree with this? Interested to hear your thoughts.
There is no requirement for an immersion spur to be RCD protected.

Now please don’t roll your eyes.... but Napit would suggest that it’s a C2 according to the codebreakers.

I had a similiar issue recently, Napit say C2, NICEIC say C3, but in the end its down to you! I with a C3

EICR lighting not on RCD IMG_2917.PNG - EletriciansForums.netEICR lighting not on RCD IMG_2936.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
[automerge]1594930264[/automerge]
Additionally............mmmm

Attachments

• EICR lighting not on RCD IMG_2938.PNG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_2938.PNG
    280.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Why does an immersion circuit not require an Rcd? Is it because it’s fixed?
It may require RCD fault protection....(ie on a TT)....and may require additional protection if wiring is buried. But there is no specific requirement for additional protection for fixed loads not in a special location.

It may require RCD fault protection....(ie on a TT)....and may require additional protection if wiring is buried. But there is no specific requirement for additional protection for fixed loads not in a special location.
I keep falling into the trap that people can see the install as i look at it. I have a habit of leaving off details. The wiring is in plasterboard walls, I always think worst case (as in the circuit not 50mm or mechanically protected) hence my original comment of a C3. I hope you see where I'm coming from.
[automerge]1594985505[/automerge]
It's a 16th type board. Basically RFC's and cooker on RCD. Everything else isn't.

I keep falling into the trap that people can see the install as i look at it. I have a habit of leaving off details. The wiring is in plasterboard walls, I always think worst case (as in the circuit not 50mm or mechanically protected) hence my original comment of a C3. I hope you see where I'm coming from.
[automerge]1594985505[/automerge]

It's a 16th type board. Basically RFC's and cooker on RCD. Everything else isn't.
EICR's are one of the more contentious aspects of our jobs. It's a good plan to have a copy of the Electrical Safety Councils 'best practice' guides, follow that and you wont go far wrong. You can add as many recommendations as you want, but anything coded must be shown to be a non-compliance.
16th boards of course usually only RCD protect the socket circuits, there would have been no requirement at the time for the cooker circuit to be protected, unless the cooker panel had a socket. And there still wouldnt be if it was surface wired and had just a DP isolator.

EICR's are one of the more contentious aspects of our jobs. It's a good plan to have a copy of the Electrical Safety Councils 'best practice' guides, follow that and you wont go far wrong. You can add as many recommendations as you want, but anything coded must be shown to be a non-compliance.
16th boards of course usually only RCD protect the socket circuits, there would have been no requirement at the time for the cooker circuit to be protected, unless the cooker panel had a socket. And there still wouldnt be if it was surface wired and had just a DP isolator.
Yes i carry a copy of Best Practice (i think its edition 4 or 5 now) and Napit codebreakers. I tend to lean towards caution. As we know, virtually everything now domestic has to be Rcd covered when installed from new. I qualified during early 17th edition, so sometimes its my knee jerk reaction is "where's it rcd!"

Reply to EICR lighting not on RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock