Discuss EICR Limitations in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just had a meeting today with Peter Lee Williams, NICEIC assessor for my promotion to QS.
amongst other things he said that one of the limitations for eicr's should be that portable appliances have not been tested.
just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. I thought it was unnecessary.

he's talking through his arse. since when have portable appliances been part of the wiring regs.

he was looking at one of my first attempts at an eicr, i'd listed fire alarms as a LIM, but he said "what's missing" i said i didnt know, he said portable appliances.

nor would any sane sparks, but here we're talking nic nac paddy wack

It does appear that NIC do have a wish to develop the regs by pure train of thought.

Fotunately i am not NIC registered and read the current regs instead.

It does annoy me though as you end up with two sparkies coming up with two different solutions both thinking they are correct.

Fortunately most of my customers know the difference between fixed wiring and appliances

even though he's told me to put PAT as a lim from now on, i'm tempted to ignore him. When other elec engineers e.g. our clients see it they may think i'm stupid!!

even though he's told me to put PAT as a lim from now on, i'm tempted to ignore him. When other elec engineers e.g. our clients see it they may think i'm stupid!!
I get told every year by my NIC guy to do something that he thinks is correct and i ignore it every year as 1 or 2 years later another guy tells me different!

If you confront them usually they back down as it is only there personal interpretation of the regs.

WTF is it with the NIC ??
Are they incapable of following bs7671 like everyone else without their own daft interpretations ?
And i'd be viewing your assessor as nothing more than a salesman trying to offload the schemes overpriced services.
How about a nuclear reactor ? shall we LIM them in a domestic pir as well ?
----ers.

Last edited by a moderator:
And to answer the OP's question , Limitations are ONLY for items normally covered within a fixed wiring inspection.

he was looking at one of my first attempts at an eicr, i'd listed fire alarms as a LIM, but he said "what's missing" i said i didnt know, he said portable appliances.

To be honest I have never put alarms systems or emergency lighting systems down as a Lim either as both these are covered by their own British Standards.

What I normally do in a quote would be to say that these systems would not be tested under the fixed wiring Inspection and Testing as this was done to BS 7671-2008 and these system come under BS etc etc ......................but then advise that they could be tested, and covered by adding it to the existing quote or issuing another quote just for these systems

WTF is it with the NIC ??
Are they incapable of following bs7671 like everyone else without their own daft interpretations ?
And i'd be viewing your assessor as nothing more than a salesman trying to offload the schemes overpriced services.
How about a nuclear reactor ? shall we LIM them in a domestic pir as well ?
----ers.
Don't beat about the bush Biff tell it like it is!

We can only hope that NICEIC "bods" are reading this forum, and get the gist that so many people have lost confidence in them.

Reply to EICR Limitations in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock