Discuss EICR no SPD &LPS Enquiry in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Recent EICR carried out at a Church & Hall. Would you code no SPD present at Supply origin & should the Lightning Protection System be connected to the Main Earthing Terminal via another SPD.

Should be a type 1 SPD installed - C2
LP should be connected to the MET - C2

Edit: Was the LP system I&T part of the EICR or has this been done seperately?

No SPD or interconnect should have received an unsatisfactory LP system report. I'm surprised as a lot of companies will quite happily quote vast sums of money to install an SPD and a bit of green and yellow.

Hi, guys & Strima, thought you may like to comment. The following .png from a LPS report. Does this actually say that in other words that no SPD is required ?

Attachments

• 1604057090699.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 37
No, that statement clearly indicates that a lightning strike would not be discharged safely as the protection system is not installed properly, and extensive damage would likely be the result.

Hi Guys, Recent EICR carried out at a Church & Hall. Would you code no SPD present at Supply origin & should the Lightning Protection System be connected to the Main Earthing Terminal via another SPD.
Itas all down to the survey you carry out on the installation, the book has a map of areas prone to strikes, and the equipment that may need protection in the propery , for example a house with the THTC set up with sometimes 3 boards why would you want to protect storage heaters, and convectors, I only consider the house circuits maybe the boiler if its got electronics for example there is no set rule for all properties, Lightning conductors I would not be encourging lightning to find a path into the home via the MET

OP. Recent EICR carried out at a Church & Hall. Would you code no SPD present at Supply origin & should the Lightning Protection System be connected to the Main Earthing Terminal via another SPD.
New Post. I see a Type 1 SPD was suggested at the origin of the supply.
As I understand Spd protection a Type 1 SPD is to prevent Flashover from a direct strike, causing break down of the insulation. Then a Type 2 is to prevent transient voltages to the rest of the installations sensitive equipment. The installation origin at the Church Hall is quite a distance from the LPS conductor & is not directly connected to the MET at present. I am limited for space for a standalone Type 1, I don't think the DNO would appreciate it on their External meter Box Board. As there is hardly any sensitive equipment other than a CD player for the Church service & an Office PC, I am inclined to install just a Type 2 in the main Consumer Unit. Do I need the Type 1 at the origin plus a Type 2 in the Consumer unit & what about the other 2 sub mains C/units? Obviously, there is a substantial price difference between the 2 devices. not much on the collection plate these days. Thanks guys for your input!

Reply to EICR no SPD &LPS Enquiry in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net