Discuss EICR on existing install in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mpatto

hello all, help needed please.
no paper work at all with this install, 7 years old.
will i need to do full tests on every circuit then for EICR?
will ph+n linked - cpc insulation (500v) test be sufficient? will that blow 12v transformers and dimmers?

thanks

For any EICR you should do 100% testing, whenever possible.
Inspections can be reduced from 100% if the installation is in good condition (minimum 10%).

An IR test with L+N to E is OK for an EICR and should not affect dimmers and transformers but may affect some other electronics, test at 250V first to see if the reading is low and this may indicate a problem that you should resolve before testing at 500V.

As Richard says, every circuit should be TESTED during an EICR. Then, depending on the results, it is up to you to decide how far to go with the inspection side of things. For example, if you get a bad result on one particular circuit, then you will really need to drill down and thoroughly inspect that circuit...

All equipment vulnerable to testing should be removed from the circuits, and a temporary link put in, in its place to keep the circuit continuous.

I dont want to pee on your bonfire mate, nor do i want to put you off doing the work, we all had to learn at sometime, and that usually meant doing it with someone more experienced. If you dont know what damage you could do to certain accessories, and are not too sure of the testing procedures, then to save yourself getting a red face and/or a big bill, i would be asking for someone to show me the ropes.

Cheers...........Howard

Im with the above two. The insulation resistance alone can give a very good indication on the condition of the installation. However if you are asking if you have to remove runnable / Sensitive equipment i think you could be learning that it can also be an expensive testing procedure im affraid.

Reply to EICR on existing install in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net