Discuss EICR on one Spotlight in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bigbaddave

I have just been to a property where I have been asked to issue a EICR for one spotlight installed in a bathroom, the home owners have been asked to get this as there bathroom fitter installed it and well it was not signed off. So turn up have a chat with the guy and go through the formalities and then ask what he wants testing and he has asked purely for this one light to be tested.

However no Main bonding, Old voltage activated circuit breaker (The big black ones with yellow button) however the guy is adiment that all as he wants checking is this one light that the guy from the local council has asked to be issued with a conditional report for just that..

Well from the visual its a fail for the Main Bonding and that's just a visual.

However has anyone been asked to do this before on just one item? Guy from council reckons that in the past the sparky has stipulated only the one light is being checked and everything on the report is marked LIM... Including the main bonding...

Personally for the sake of the job and run involved then its a no brainer fit bonding..

i wouldn't put my name to that. tell him that you do a full eicr or walk.

To be honest that's my gut feeling.. Its like issueing a EICR and saying that the install is satisfactory (As thats all there interested in) and basing this on one light fitting..

Not a valid EICR.. Would have been cheeper getting a sparky to install

why even bother with a job that pays prob no more than £30-40 but comes with all the legal responsibilities when it goes pete tong ?
and even if you did issue a cert for 1 item you still cant not record the lack of bonding.
utterly pointless lol.

no , this is an example of a customer who cut corners on the installation work , cut corners on the paperwork and now wants to cut corners on the inspection knowing damn well the rest of his electricals are a big fat epic fail.
;-)

why even bother with a job that pays prob no more than £30-40 but comes with all the legal responsibilities when it goes pete tong ?
and even if you did issue a cert for 1 item you still cant not record the lack of bonding.
utterly pointless lol.

Yes you can and yes you should.

He may want an EICR for the bathroom light and as such an inspection of the item should include the circuit, the fuse, the rcd, the main bonding.....

Yes you can and yes you should.

He may want an EICR for the bathroom light and as such an inspection of the item should include the circuit, the fuse, the rcd, the main bonding.....

i cant make out whether youre agreeing with me or looking to start a big fri nite forum fight ?
;-)

Im with you on this one.. Its the first thing thats checked regardless of what addition is made. From the sound of it the guy paid top dollar for the bathroom

Last edited by a moderator:
well more fool him , paying top dollar for monkeys. everyone knows you can get them for peanuts.

EICR on a domestic property must include suitability of the earthing and bonding as set out by the schedule of inspections on pages 4-6 of the certificate. If there is a lack of bonding then a C2 is appropriate rendering an unsatisfactory outcome. In short Mr slapdash happy has a problem on his hands regardless of how good his bathroom may look on the surface!

at the end of the day an eicr is an installation condition report. it's not, and never can be, a report on a poxy bathroom light.

I've had to do these before for an insurance company.

I check bonding etc and circuit feeding the light in question, then get my readings just from this light fitting.
And word the extent and limitations well!

Fair enough testing one circuit but I find it hard to believe a sparky would issue a satisfactory EICR testing one light and ommiting the fact Main bonding is missing. I dont have an issue issuing a EICR on one circuit but om not ommiting main bonding regardless off what he tells me the other sparks have done

This is exactly what the new Part P says for 3rd party I&Ts.
So, if so and so's new circuit passes but the earthing & bonding doesn't, job's a failure, someone has to sort the E&B then has to pay for a new EICR to be done.
The 3rd party inspector's laughing...

Reply to EICR on one Spotlight in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net