Discuss EICR - PLASTIC CONSUMER UNIT CODE C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

An insulated consumer unit in good condition is never ever a C2. Anyone who codes it as such is a chancer IMO.

I generally don't code them unless they are in an understairs cupboard. Begrudgingly I would normally the code it C3 in line with guidance
If the install was compliant with the regulations at the time of the install, no code BS 7671 isn't retrospective, hence no code

If the install was compliant with the regulations at the time of the install, no code BS 7671 isn't retrospective, hence no code

Come on Pete, not this one again.

When you carry out an EICR you do so to current regulations. If something was to regulations at the time of install it reduces the chances of a c2 and certainly a c1, but it definitely doesn’t mean no code.

Yesterday I did an EICR at a property with a detached garage with a few sockets and lights in. Old wylex rewireable fuseboard. No RCD. I’m sure this was to regulations when it was fitted back in the 70’s probably, but it’s certainly a c2 now.

Even if it were the case that if something were to regs when fitted then all would be fine, how would I go about ‘dating’ the installation in the absence of any paperwork. Sure I could guess, but that wouldn’t be very accurate. Then I would need access to all old versions of BS7671.

I personally think today it merits C3. Electricians should and must always outway any decision by improvement & safety. Strive for perfection ...except nothing less. Especially in a domain where consumers are often excepting second best, cheaper and DIY fitters. Welcome changes for the better valorizes the trade and opens the gap between the DIYer and the PROS.

Reply to EICR - PLASTIC CONSUMER UNIT CODE C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net