Discuss EICR - PLASTIC CONSUMER UNIT CODE C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OK, if people are coding these things then come January I presume you will be coding any circuit that doesn't have an AFDD fitted to it?

What does it say in the Best Practice Guide No 4 about plastic CU's?
Are we not working to BS7671?
I can't find anywhere in BS7671 that states we should refer to Best Practice Guides.
As stated above, there are thousands of plastic CU's. To code them for just being plastic is wrong IMO.
If you are going to code plastic CU's then you have to code surface mounted cables that don't have adequate support against a fire.

BS 7671 AMD 3 does nothing to clear up the farce of metal CUs

My first response on this thread offers up my thoughts

An insulated consumer unit in good condition is never ever a C2. Anyone who codes it as such is a chancer IMO.

I generally don't code them unless they are in an understairs cupboard. Begrudgingly I would normally the code it C3 in line with guidance

This post is a complete contradiction.

These Guides can lead to narrow minded thinking as opposed to using your knowledge to judge each scenario on its own merits.

I agree with that train of thought. I think the reasoning behind the guide is an attempt to standardise coding of common issues what with any bugger let loose on inspections these days.
I fully agree that each situation is a unique judgement call as to the perceived hazard or danger though.

What does it say in the Best Practice Guide No 4 about plastic CU's?
Are we not working to BS7671?
I can't find anywhere in BS7671 that states we should refer to Best Practice Guides.
As stated above, there are thousands of plastic CU's. To code them for just being plastic is wrong IMO.
If you are going to code plastic CU's then you have to code surface mounted cables that don't have adequate support against a fire.

Which I would do.

All you are saying with a C3 is that a significant improvement to safety can be acheived by in this case making the surrounds or consumer unit fireproof. Personally I feel if it is under a stairs an important escape route could be compromised if a fire started under it. I don't know about you but I would not be happy with that potential risk in my home especially with kids about, being serious for a moment!

Whilst the inclusion of metal boards has reduced fire risk (for whatever the actual reason plastics suddenly became a risk)

The number of incidents of molten dist boards (when installed correctly) must be minuscule,the potential risk would reflect that
Life is full of risk,its good to reduce that risk but lets not go over the top:eek:
If the board is installed correctly and/or correctly inspected, the risk is likely to be as low as its ever going to be compared to a new one even if it were made from asbestos :rolleyes:

My view on this as you are giving someone a professional opinion on their installation as of the date of inspection. I would therefore give a C3 whatever the location. A metal consumer unit would now be fitted if this was a new build property and therefore an improvement could be made/recommended. Should there be a fire within the CU/house at a later date and it was not contained and caused damage or serious injury or death the owner/householder/insurer/courts could state that you did not draw to their attention that this was an area where improvement could have been made to their installation. Cables in escape routes are not normally visible so would surely be a lim. An old boss of mine always used to say to me, when you make a decision you should firstly consider what it would read like on the front page of the Sun or when reported in the local news when it all goes horribly wrong!

One of the problems I have with this Consumer Unit issue, is that it is not the Wiring Regulations that should have changed, but the BS EN standards that relate to Consumer Units.
Of course, what has happened, is that both have changed.

Wish there was so much open discussion and debate on whether me ball joint on me van was a pass or a fail, on its mot last time out.

If none of you can agree on this one point, how do you agree on the rest of the book?

Incidentally, once you've obtained an EICR course or training, at what point can you start giving your competent judgmental opinions; straight away, few months experience or when you're old & crusty like Westwood, no offence Westy. :)

Wish there was so much open discussion and debate on whether me ball

Do not want to discuss your balls..

If none of you can agree on this one point, how do you agree on the rest of the book

My post is my personal opinion. I do not do EICR's so it doesn't affect anyone really. Just shocked to think that anyone would even consider giving a CU a C2 just because it's plastic.

Do not want to discuss your balls..

My post is my personal opinion. I do not do EICR's so it doesn't affect anyone really. Just shocked to think that anyone would even consider giving a CU a C2 just because it's plastic.
Bang on, Spoon

Life is full of risk,its good to reduce that risk but lets not go over the top
It is hardly "going over the top" bringing to the attention of a home owner a potential risk it is more by way of advice it is not as if it is a judgement from the Lord high executioner it is simply sage advice. The fact the risk as perceived by you @Des 56 is miniscule does not detract from the fact that certain professional bodies have deemed it a risk who are in a better position to assess that risk certainly more so than mere personal opinion and subjective conjecture. I see no reason to fly in the face of that and refuse to acknowledge and inform others who can then make their own decision as to how to handle it.

so, a plastic CU that's properlyinstalled gets a C£ code. Customer then decides to have it replaced with a metal CU.This is done by a wet-behind-the -ears Electrical Trainee, with loose terminations, ropey cable dressing, and an indecipherable EIC. and you call that an improvement???

Reply to EICR - PLASTIC CONSUMER UNIT CODE C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net