Discuss EICR quandary in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm wondering what you guys would do.
Kevin the tenant has been playing with the electrics, replacing plastic switches with metal and not earthing. Tapping into an existing shower circuit to install another shower using chock block and no enclosure, thinks he owns the place (you ought to see the plumbing!).
So when I have finished removing and putting Kevins handy-work right I'm thinking how can I trust he will not play again. It's my name on the EICR and he could invalidate it as soon as I walk out of the door. How do I cover myself? He may do something electrical that burns the place down and die in the inferno. HSE looks at who did the last inspection.
Normally 5 years to next test, I'm thinking I should be recommending a visual every 6 months whilst Kevin is the tenant.
What would you recommend?

As above , take lots of photos you Work and of the consumer unit. You could put some special security tape around the lid of the consumer unit for good measure.
you can’t really do more than this to cover your backside from proving Kevin modifying the electrics in the future.
remember An eicr is just a snap shot of the installation at that given time.

Agree
Photos and notes on the report.
Does Kevin’s landlord have any comment on the situation or is it a letting agency employing you?

If you think Kevin will just reinstate some of his 'improvements' after you've left, perhaps on the documentation make detailed specific mention of what has been corrected. For example, I'd typically just have one line on an invoice for something like "correct earthing of 3 metal light switches", whereas you perhaps ought to document more specifically each switch corrected or replaced with plastic, by room/location.

I suppose the trouble is you don't know what else he might modify after you've gone, you can't photograph every socket, switch, light fitting etc in case they get changed. Though you could note this down for your own records, e.g. I typically have test sheets with each lighting point listed and have noted whether pendant/metal/etc., which never go to the client but I can dig out at a later date if there is a problem.

PS: Do you have any good plumbing photos?

I would likely issue Report with C2 and your observations of DIY and leave. Let the LL / Agent separately ask for the necessary repairs if they wish. My inner Murphy says this is not over …

As above, take loads of photos and report on what you see.

You could do an EICR on any property and the owner might tamper with the electrics the day after.

Edit: Having said that, I'm surprised the landlord isn't evicting the tennant. I certainly would be.

Last edited:
As others have said, I think my way forward here would be to see this as two separate things - issue a report of whatever you've found, along with photo's and an estimate for cost of remedials. Do remedials, certify and take pics, walk away as fast as possible.

I would write on the EICR, clear evidence of poorly fitted DIY electrics. In addition you could add your concerns on the EICR, a bit unorthodox but I can't see it breaking any rules.
I would also take photos and I would straightaway download those photos on to the laptop in a specifically labelled folder. If you ever need to show them to anyone, it will likely be in years rather than months, they will get lostif left on your phone.
Tell your concerns to the landlord in an email, make a copy of that email in your special folder.
Speak to Kevin if feasible and politely tell him that he's a bit of a silly chap.
I used a number of other words rather than 'silly chap', but I noticed they were all blanked out!

Given the current PRS legislation where the tenant gets a copy of the EICR and assuming the tenant actually reads it, if the issues are highlighted and more frequent reviews are recommended might this be sufficient warning to put him off his DIY electrics
Other than that may be the use tamperproof screws to secure accessories is an option although the "security" bits are readily available and would possibly only slow down the inevitable modifications that he may choose to do
This is one EICR where it needs to be very detailed and documented with supporting pictures to protect the persons signing it as much as possible and again this brings up the question of what warranty does an EICR have when it is so easy to tamper with the installation

The issue is that whatever is done only increases the landlords costs so is it reasonable that Kevin pays the increase in costs to monitor his unauthorised mods

the electronic certs being so easy to Attach lists of works/specific disconnects etc and attach photos are your friend here, I'd just cover with specific wording perhaps in summary advising client To ensure unsafe and non compliant modifications are prevented.

Thank you all for your replies. I did think after about an hour in the property I don't really want to do this one, but the landlady is a friend of a acquaintance. I called her and told her I was wasting my time as this is a big fat fail,, no RCDs, the installation is about 50 years old. 3 electric shower and 2 cooker circuits on a 60A main. She said please do whatever it takes to put it right.
I said to her you will have to decide which shower do you want to keep in service,, the one in the bathroom or the one in the nearly finished en-suite? What en-suite she said,, ho hum,, she hasn't been checking, bit of an absentee landlord.
Yes she wants this tenant out so my report may help her.

I will go with the suggestions of putting numbered tamper seals on everything and lots of photos and an in depth report, and stuff I do to remedy Kevins doings I will put separately on the invoice. Kevins partner works nights so I can only do 1.5 days a week,, so this going to be a bit of a drawn out job.

Where is the front plate Kevin?,, I took if off to rub it down and paint, its in my workshop. Kevins partner, no its not it was lying around so I chucked it out.
EICR quandary IMG_20210325_122511683 - EletriciansForums.net

Secondary double glazing.
EICR quandary IMG_20210409_093154956 - EletriciansForums.net

Kevin using loft as a junction box. 10mm going south/north to unused shower, 6mm going off to right to his en-suite. 6mm came out when I wiggled cable.
EICR quandary showerjoin - EletriciansForums.net

Kevins plumbing in bathroom brought ceiling down so it looks like he took advantage of this to get his en-suite plumbed (pipes going right). I think the 16mm t&e going to the CU in the main house got in his way.
EICR quandary IMG_20210420_093532573 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to EICR quandary in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock