Discuss eicr -query over classification codes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mad dog

1. What classification code would you give on a front end rcd.
2. two ring circuits connected to a single mcb.

In dispute with a customer and awaiting payment

Thanks

Mad Dog, you just have to think, if a upfront RCD was worthy of a code, they wouldndt still be making them, granted its really not ideal, but that is down to your skills to explain it to the customer and pursuede them to look at a board change.

What are the loads on the doubled up rings? If its bedrooms it could be a C3 IMHO

tin hat on.

More to the point presumably you've given an unsatisfactory - is the customer saying he will only pay you for a satisfactory?

not sure of the code for the ring, maybe a 2 for me, but could be a 3, but I would say it was very bad practice either way lol.

Two rings on one breaker is taking doubling up a bit far!!!! But, is it dangerous? That's the question. If there is little chance of overload, and the circuit is protected, then how can you justify a C2? Just asking, cos I'd give it a C3 myself. Probably. Front end RCDs are not codable, just not up to the current specs. :)

What are the loads on the doubled up rings? If its bedrooms it could be a C3 IMHO

tin hat on.

More to the point presumably you've given an unsatisfactory - is the customer saying he will only pay you for a satisfactory?

Lol - if it was my children's bedrooms, I'd be going the other way! The amount of sh...kit they have in their rooms, no wonder their "sweet loving" mother decided I was worth calling for something in the end - yeah, melted radials can do that.

Oh, I kid you not - by melted radial, what I really mean is melted 0.75 flex with five doubles strung on to it, all neatly slung through the joists too, and up and in to the outlets...... "because that's how Google showed it" - the boyfriend, barely even qualified as the part time pizza delivery driver he is, Googles it and decides he can be every bit the electrician - despite the kids apparently telling him he was a [insert your chosen four letter word that rhymes with chat].

I think a month's maintenance was fair comment.

My house, prior to the CU change, had the kitchen ring and the downstairs ring sharing a 3036 fuse. Been like that for 25+ years and hadn't caused a problem. lol

My house, prior to the CU change, had the kitchen ring and the downstairs ring sharing a 3036 fuse. Been like that for 25+ years and hadn't caused a problem. lol

Lol. Mine was on a 3036 board with I think 4 or 5 ways, one lighting circuit over 4 floors, one socket circuit too. I didn't rush to rewire it, as my tests all came back that the wiring was sound. The main driver for a rewire was the lack of sockets, only one or two per floor. When we had enough money to redecorate and replaster, then I did my stuff.

Thanks for all your help. Ring circuits cover two bedrooms, two living rooms, and kitchen (excluding cooker). Gave a C2 but the customer argues for a C3 as small house, quotes only two mcb needed if over 100 square, and not overloaded when he lived there (after a landlord report now). Gave a good quote for a new box

I couldn't sleep at night if I connected 2 rings on one breaker due to bad practice, so as it has been done by others in this house personally I would try to talk the customer into having the job done right myself, not saying it is a must by any means, but there you are, rollocks to the tin hat I'm happy with my views on this so let the games begin :grin:

I couldn't sleep at night if I connected 2 rings on one breaker due to bad practice, so as it has been done by others in this house personally I would try to talk the customer into having the job done right myself, not saying it is a must by any means, but there you are, rollocks to the tin hat I'm happy with my views on this so let the games begin :grin:
Agree with you Mike about bad practice but as regards danger then more of a nuisance imo,if 2 rings on a 32A breaker then it's going to potentially be tripping more often due to the potential extra load but its only the same as having one ring for the whole house isn't it? Still rough though and I personally would want to change it,the only way I would and indeed have stuck 2 rings on one breaker was a situation with a failed breaker late at night where the circuit could not be left dead and no other breaker available,but it was replaced first thing next day.

Why c2!, no way! As long as the integrity of the circuits are fine and it's not overloading the mcb causing it to open and rcd protected

Just poor workmanship

Hehe, was there enough spare ways when the spark wired it, maybe he over estimated the amount of breakers in the board, ive seen so many circuits in boards now its hard to see past simple errors ppl make, usually when i get there its changing time anyway.

Its always easy to say bad practice in iensight, its what you can do to correct the bad practice maybe do as suggested Add a breaker, maybe make one continues ring and change the fuse.

Its also recommended to use 20A for CU now not 32A so maybe look at some suggetion errors here also, its only bad practice when you know it is.

Reply to eicr -query over classification codes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net