Discuss Eicr query in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all, my question is regards to a eicr. I have come to a property to do a eicr and have come across the lighting circuit neutrals in single insulated with no earthing. The live have earthing, which are single but the neutrals have none. Would this constitute a c2 or a c3. Thank you in advance

Hello all, my question is regards to a eicr. I have come to a property to do a eicr and have come across the lighting circuit neutrals in single insulated with no earthing. The live have earthing, which are single but the neutrals have none. Would this constitute a c2 or a c3. Thank you in advance
These Ns is the cable insulated and sheathed? if so the property could have been wired during the building boom, whereby a N was taken round to each lighting point, the Ls likewise to each switch (cable would have a cpc) and a S/L same type of cable used as a S/L between light and switch.
no code required, that was how wiring was done back in the past as ;ong as each point has a cpc avaliable no problem

These Ns is the cable insulated and sheathed? if so the property could have been wired during the building boom, whereby a N was taken round to each lighting point, the Ls likewise to each switch (cable would have a cpc) and a S/L same type of cable used as a S/L between light and switch.
Interesting - what years are we talking? Not something I've run into.

The houses on our estate have the lighting wired in sheathed singles as above. Early 1970s build. Neutral on it's own, live with a cpc.

The houses on our estate have the lighting wired in sheathed singles as above. Early 1970s build. Neutral on it's own, live with a cpc.
Newbies need to research this method of wiring, comments welcome!

no code required, that was how wiring was done back in the past as ;ong as each point has a cpc avaliable no problem
These properties are generally the ones which need upgrading with 6mm earth conductor, 6mm bonding conductor, no rcd protection sockets throughout whole of house on 30a bs 3036 With only single socket in each room with multiple extension leads. Needs upgrading in my opinion
[automerge]1600811326[/automerge]
These properties are generally the ones which need upgrading with 6mm earth conductor, 6mm bonding conductor, no rcd protection sockets throughout whole of house on 30a bs 3036 With only single socket in each room with multiple extension leads. Needs upgrading in my opinion
Don’t get me started on the consumer unit ??

Do you? Certainly don’t here
Absolutely. Usually for things like outside lights, or a landing light fed from a downstairs circuit, or to run an extra switchwire or signal or whatever to something. Two way switching is another common example (for the common).

Across the border some wire whole lighting circuits with singles/singles & Earth (though probably not so much these days).

Absolutely. Usually for things like outside lights, or a landing light fed from a downstairs circuit, or to run an extra switchwire or signal or whatever to something. Two way switching is another common example (for the common).

Across the border some wire whole lighting circuits with singles/singles & Earth (though probably not so much these days).
Ahh right I get you thought you meant you rewire the property in singles. Yea the points you make I use 3 core instead down to switches rather than an extra single core.

Hi, As there is earth wire in a single core form its fine and no code needed. but if the earth is missing and light fitting is metal or class one I suggest C2.

Reply to Eicr query in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net