Discuss EICR Question - Lots of confusion out there .... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I need to have an EICR since I am getting a small HMO going, and this is the current fuseboard, seems REG16 one.. I had a few electricians coming around and some say they have to change the board, some says I need to RCD all the circuits, some says they only provide a paper report and some say the have to log the report online... so what is the real situation here ?
Any advise appreciated since I am trying to limit the amount of work to be done if not really necessary
Cheers
M.

EICR Question - Lots of confusion out there .... 41715269_247598089274348_5063779820807127040_n - EletriciansForums.net

Recommendations for a new Db,but ok to leave it in place.
When fitted it was installed @ the current regs,& I think it’s fine.
Needs a blank & re labelled

You need to check with your local council to see what they want to see when they inspect you ...... alarms and emergency lighting ....... could be high on their list

An up to date CU is a good start, maybe not mandatory but you do have a duty of care to your residents.

Also see what your insurance company says. They may also require L1 or L2 fire alarm system.

I need to have an EICR since I am getting a small HMO going, and this is the current fuseboard, seems REG16 one.. I had a few electricians coming around and some say they have to change the board, some says I need to RCD all the circuits, some says they only provide a paper report and some say the have to log the report online... so what is the real situation here ?
Any advise appreciated since I am trying to limit the amount of work to be done if not really necessary
Cheers
M.

View attachment 49068

Get the EICR done and then see. It is a report from which you can then make an informed decision about your installation. They shouldn't be recommending board changes at this stage.

You need to check with your local council to see what they want to see when they inspect you ...... alarms and emergency lighting ....... could be high on their list

An up to date CU is a good start, maybe not mandatory but you do have a duty of care to your residents.
Thanks Murdoch, what is a CU? Just focusing on the EICR now, I am sure the council will come up with a lots of things to be added, signs, etc

Thanks Murdoch, what is a CU? Just focusing on the EICR now, I am sure the council will come up with a lots of things to be added, signs, etc

CU = consumer unit (fuse board)

It is worth pointing out that the one you have has been obsolete for quite a while now

Thanks Murdoch, it is 25 years old :) but I understand that unless I add new circuits, I should not be required to change it .. is tht correct ?

It would depend on the outcome of the EICR but as in my opening contribution you do have a duty of care and scrimping on something like this probably isn’t a good start. As a guide you are probably looking at a minimum of £450 plus bonding to do this ...

How much have you budgeted to get your HMO up and running

Where are you based?

It would depend on the outcome of the EICR but as in my opening contribution you do have a duty of care and scrimping on something like this probably isn’t a good start. As a guide you are probably looking at a minimum of £450 plus bonding to do this ...

How much have you budgeted to get your HMO up and running

Where are you based?
Murdoch, I live in the property (my house), so obviously that is my main concern. My problem is that I hear a different story from any guy that comes around and that is what made me ask you experts :)

The report can be a hard copy or electronic it will be up to you which format suits. Have the EICR done initially ignoring those who have stated a new consumer unit without doing anything.

@OP. a sensible appraisal cannot be done ober the internet. needs a site visit, if you post your location.......

Irrespective of what an EICR states you are legally obliged to ensure that your rented house is safe upon occupancy and and then maintained in a safe condition.
I would stick my neck out here (Although many may disagree with me!) and say that should you wish to ignore or not act upon any recommendations from an EICR you are consciously placing any future tenant at some risk of harm (however small) and potentially yourself at risk or prosecution and significant financial jeopardy.
A colleague of mine used to say to me when assessing risk, just imagine what the worst case scenario would be if it goes wrong and then what it would look like reported on the front page of the Sun. Then consider how the case would sound to the judge when you are being prosecuted in court for manslaughter.
Yes at the time that CU was fitted metal CU's were not fitted to minimise risks of fires and RCD's were not mandatory on all circuits, however any competent electrician will inform you that improvement is recommended to your installation as both of these areas are now necessary on any new installation.
My advice (as a landlord myself!) would be to implement all areas of improvement an EICR raises especially with regards to all circuits being RCD protected and any CU being of metal construction. This way you will be able to sleep at night. Depending on where your CU is as a HMO your local council may insist on the works in any case.
Good advice can be found at the site below.
Information for Landlords & Responsibilities | Electrical Safety First - https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/advice-for-you/landlords/

I think the OP was saying that each electrician he asks has a different opinion on what the rules are... and equally, may potentially provide differing EICR results. He was asking to clarify those rules, so that (presumably) he's able to challenge any opinions he may receive... and potentially not spend the money.

just saying...

Reply to EICR Question - Lots of confusion out there .... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock