Discuss EICR Regs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
can anyone point me to a few Reg Numbers.

16mm Earthing conductor has been cut and twisted together? needs to be continuous.

MAIN KIOSK, MAINS & GENERATOR SECTION, 16MM Cables from main isolator to 63A fuses are showing signs of burning.(Reg ?????

can anyone point me to a few Reg Numbers.

16mm Earthing conductor has been cut and twisted together? needs to be continuous.

MAIN KIOSK, MAINS & GENERATOR SECTION, 16MM Cables from main isolator to 63A fuses are showing signs of burning.(Reg ?????[http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...electrical-forum/110074-eicr-regs.html/QUOTE]

Sorry mate couldn't resist

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/electrical-forum-general-electrical-forum/110074-eicr-regs.html

Sorry I'll try again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87EwAzFfO2M

As far as I can find in the regs, the main earth cable does not have to be continuous, but in your situation, it should be joined securely. It is only bonding cable that bonds more than one item that are required to be continuous.

As far as I can find in the regs, the main earth cable does not have to be continuous, but in your situation, it should be joined securely. It is only bonding cable that bonds more than one item that are required to be continuous.

Where in the regs did you find all of that?

not necessarily. although it's good practice to ensure that the removal of one bond ( usually by a wet-pants ) does not compromise the integrity of others. )

Where in the regs did you find all of that?

I looked through the online version of “Guidance Note 8: Earthing & Bonding” searching for “Continuous” and the only reference in the context of a cable being continuous is in bonding multiple items (Guidance Note 8: Chapter 5.2 says “However, it is permitted to connect them collectively or in groups where the main protective bonding conductor is looped from one extraneous-conductive-part to another. Where bonding is undertaken in this way, the bonding conductor should remain unbroken at intermediate points, as shown in Figure 5.5, thus maintaining continuity to other extraneous-conductive-parts should one be disconnected for whatever reason.”).
Then I looked through the first 4 chapters describing earthing and there is no mention of the cable between the MET and consumer unit being unbroken or continuous.
It is common sense and good practice to make the cable continuous, but does not appear to be part of any regulation I can find, therefore it is hard to give it an EICR code as long as the join is safe, supported and not going to come apart.

I hope I have this correct.

Last edited:
Most times that I have seen them removed they are still on the clamp. we must have plumbers with no cutters up here .
One of the favourite tricks up here is under the floorboards. No prizes for guessing what it is.

Reply to EICR Regs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net