Discuss EICR remedial work in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bowlfz

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I recently had an EICR carried out and there were 3 "C2" codes identified. I have pasted below.

I have also posted the remedial work quotation from the same electrician

The questions/points I have are as follows:-

1) Is there such a thing as a class 2 light switch? From the remedial work quotation, it seems to be normal light switches with screw covers. There are two light switches that have no earth.
2) As I am based in London, does this seem a reasonable quotation? The extractor wiring is 10 inches from the flex outlet to the fan.
3) The doorbell wire is redundant (I didn't even know it existed). It would need to be detached.

Any advice much appreciated.

EICR_observations.jpg

Remedial_work.jpg
quote_price.jpg

For a domestic situation there is no such thing as a Class II switch. All insulated maybe but this will not solve the issue of no earth being present if the back boxes are metal, fitting caps over the metal cover screws is not a solution they are for aesthetic purposes only plus you cannot use Class II protection in a dwelling it is not permitted.

The light switch replacement will not resolve the issue.
Obviously the best solution would be to provide a CPC to the light switch.
As an interim measure, I have, in the past, used 3.5mm nylon socket fixing screws in this situation.
And a notice placed on the consumer unit, warning not to replace the switch with a metal one.

Thanks for the responses on the Class 2.

So , an alternative would be to use nylon fixing screws - I assume I would be allowed to do this under Part P?
If this is the case, how would I have this signed off, or show that the EICR findings have been addressed?

What about the other C2 findings - can they be undertaken by myself - and if so, how would the work be certified? I am keen to ensure that I follow the guidelines and everything is done correctly.

The bathroom fan would appear to need some rewiring so this should be done by a competent person. I don't advocate the use of nylon screws as this still does not resolve the issue. Any works carried out a Minor Works Certificate will be evidence of the works being carried out.

I've used PVC flush boxes before for damp walls. I don't see why you couldn't use one here to avoid having to rewire the switch drop? Of course, you'd never be able to put a metal switch on it in future, but it would be safe.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/pro...-box-round-corners-with-20mm-conduit-ko-white

As long as you aren't messing around in the CU, replacing a flex and switch/box is non-notifiable work.
Ignore me. I didn't see the comment about nylon screws, very cool and much easier than replacing the box.

Thank you all for the responses.

One thing I am still not clear on is given the items listed as C2, if I complete the work myself (under Part P), how would I prove the work was done?
Without going into too much detail,and not offering a sob story ,due to my wife being made redundant, we are looking to move back in with family and possibly let the place out for a year until we can get back on our feet. Is it a case that we have to have the minor works done by an electrician so a certificate is produced, or could I complete all allowable DIY work, and show when asked?

Just to confirm, I am an experienced diyer,but I want to ensure that I comply with the law relating to all electric certification.

Thanks

Although I understand your situation, to be honest this work is a little beyond the scope of normal DIY. Especially as an EICR has highlighted some C2 items. Yes you could follow the advice given on this forum and correct the problems to some degree, but you would not be able to produce the necessary follow up certificate (minor works certificate) as you do not possess the test equipment and knowledge required to produce this certificate.
Without such a certificate, I do not see how you could prove in court (if there was an incident related to the electrics in your house), or to an insurance company, or when it comes to selling your house, that what you have done was ok.
☹️

Assuming that you are competent to do the work, you could try asking your electrician if he's ok with you doing the repairs and you paying him to re-test the affected circuits and produce a satisfactory EICR or MWC.

Assuming that you are competent to do the work, you could try asking your electrician if he's ok with you doing the repairs and you paying him to re-test the affected circuits and produce a satisfactory EICR or MWC.
A MEIWC is not used to certify work for which you are not responsible.

It is possible if there are cpcs at the lighting points the cpcs may have been cut away at the switches. If so a bit of luck could be some slack you can pull down and correctly connect.

Reply to EICR remedial work in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net