Discuss EICR Report and defects. What is needed in order to complete minor works ??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Djlelectrical

Been to a property and been asked to add a socket in Bradford City Centre

Just to give you an idear of the system hear goes..

Connecting meter to DB is 10mm twin and earth with a main service fuse of 40 Amp

DB this is the first time I have seen a db like this, MCB type things but the are not removable. Council sticker saying install board fitted 1992

NO rcd's on any circuits, One socket located at rear door that has the potential to feed portable equipment outside

Main bonding present only

Insulation resistance 4.2M oams on full installation

External Earth fine, Loop impedance for all circuits satisfactory, Continuity of CPC to all points and ring is wired on a ring with no spurs

Due to the IR results the age of the wiring and the house being a shell i have given 2 quotes, Rewire, New Dual RCD board. but the want only the socket fitting, I am insisting that the rest of the bonding is brought up to date and that the additional socket is RCD protected and the one near the door as a minimum.

What else would you guys be insisting on before you touch an install or what do you guys look for prior to quoting?

Last edited by a moderator:
it doesnt need a rewire does it ?
over 4 meg on a global IR is not bad actually and you've already confirmed continuity and Zs are ok.
they only want a socket but you've quoted for rewire , bonding and Cu change ???
even dick turpin didnt have that much front lol.

Why advise a EICR. As long as your work meet current and any circuit you alter is safe to do so then no problems what so ever. Also make sure all ECP is bonded and main earth is satisfactory.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I apreciate 4.0 is a pass but when the house is a shell and ready to be plastered and decorated then I give the option but inform that at present the wiring is satasfactory. Cant say fairer than that. As for changing a board it saves the supplementary bonding due to no RCD's and moves the install forward as apossed to back in the edition of the regs.

I think the phase was "I want my electric checked" but when we talked figures that were not as keen. I agreed to 30 mins with megger and a few basic tests

So £400 DB change, and £70 to install a socket. Why does it need supplementary bonding? You installing the socket in the bathroom?

Regardless of what work is being done bonding arrangements need to be up to scratch and as there is no RCD then supplementary bonding is needed as per reg 132.16. Or is it not? Or is the sparky I served my time with too cut up on the regs and the guy from naspit

The nloke is trying for a DB change for no real reason so may as well charge prices to get Domimic Littlewood intrested

(1rcd Socket) £70 for rcd socket and updating supplimentry bonding or (RCD everything) £200 for RCD board socket and tails... Im bamboozled to think what is wrong. Ive explain what my findings are and what the costs are. Its there call from there. forgive me if I am wrong but surly we should be advising to make to install safer and moving forwards in the eddition of the regs and not backwards.

Of course we should. But also only works you carry out have to meet current regs not the whole installation. Main earthing and bonding exempt obviously as that must meet current regs.

There is no requirement for earthing and bonding arrangements to meet current Regulations.
The requirement is to ensure the earthing and bonding arrangements are adequate for the safety measure applied to the addition or alteration.
What is the intended safety measure to be applied to the new socket-outlet, and how exactly does supplementary bonding affect the safety measure?

Ah Apologies Dillb, I thinking I am looking far too into this in that case. It seems to be a grey area then in that case, the wording on the minor works form - Comments on existing installation, Including adequacy of earthing and bonding arrangements (see regulation 132.16) make me obviously check way more than is required.
From what your saying you would be happy providing the main bonding and main earth was present and of the correct size

I think what you are missing DJelectrical, is that to fit your socket you don't need to worry about supplementary bonding of the bathroom , that doesn't really come under 'ensuring the bonding is up to scratch' it comes under special locations, since your not dealing with that special location, you don;t need to worry, just fit an rcd socket in trunking, install main bonds if necessary and be done with it!

I wouldn't recommend a re-wire due to a low global IR. I'd test the circuits individually and see if it was just one circuit causing the low IR and it may be an item on the circuit giving a false reading. This wouldn't take much longer.

Sent from my Xperia S using next doors WIFI

given the age and type recomending a rewire or db change is exactly what i would recomend, however this is only a recomendation and if the client only wants the additional outlet then carry out the works to bs7671.

Reply to EICR Report and defects. What is needed in order to complete minor works ??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net