Discuss EICR ring circuit question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Doing an EICR and was looking for some advice, testing the socket circuit, it’s a ring circuit. 3 sockets in the living room area, opened 2 up and they both had one cable at it (great). Opened the 3rd and it had 4, so obviously the other 2 sockets are fed from here. Now I know you are allowed to spur once from a ring, but I’m assuming as that is spurring to 2 different points, it’s a no no? Was wondering what you guys thought

Doing an EICR and was looking for some advice, testing the socket circuit, it’s a ring circuit. 3 sockets in the living room area, opened 2 up and they both had one cable at it (great). Opened the 3rd and it had 4, so obviously the other 2 sockets are fed from here. Now I know you are allowed to spur once from a ring, but I’m assuming as that is spurring to 2 different points, it’s a no no? Was wondering what you guys thought
Read and inwardly digest Appendix 15 BS 7671

If there’s been a lot of work in the past, it might be a “figure of 8” ring where it’s been extended, with 2 legs joined in the box and 2 legs joined at the socket… Dicky DIYer comes along and puts them all together,

and the two spurs are off round joint boxes under the floor.

As above, prove the theory first.

4 cables in one terminal as you think it is, (ie, ring and 2 x spurs) isn’t good… would be a hotspot if spurs were heavily loaded…. but if the double socket was 2 singles next to each other, it would be alright.

Reply to EICR ring circuit question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net