Discuss Eicr sample size question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good afternoon

Was just wondering when a sample size is set for an EICR Say 50% would the remaining circuits have to be identified for schedule purposes. I'm training to becoming an electrician and it's something that I'm unsure about.

Thanks
Harry

No.
If you decide your sampling rate is 50% then you inspect 50% of all accessories for each circuit..
Gs3 and all of my relevant books show you can set a sample size of no less than 25% for final circuit distribution boards so you wouldn't have topercentage of the circuits thoughye
Bit of confusion here I think Harry is asking if you only test and inspect a percentage of the total circuits which is sometimes asked of by the client do you include untested circuits on the schedules.
Yes this is what I meant. So do you have to include details e.g cables sizes etc for untested circuits and the number of points and what the circuit does.

I ask this because if you only allowed for a certain sample size, identifying circuits can't often take longer than the testing itself.
Thanks for the reply

Sampling is something that is to be discussed with the client prior to the inspection, the more problems/faults found then you should discuss with the client about increasing the original sampling sizes.

I myself am inspecting a factory where it has been agreed to sample/ inspect and test 50% of all DB circuits this year (32 DB’s in total) then the other 50% on a yearly rollout basis on a continuous cycle Which will then eventually cover all the circuits.

If we are doing a percentage test we only write down the details for circuits tested and then write "circuit not tested" for the remaining circuits.

It is VERY important to clearly state sample size on the cert, both in circuits tested and points removed for inspection. I have noticed unrealistic expectations of EICR's which has not been helped by comments from respected members on here who have continually advised EICR's as a total installation health check. It is not. A 50% sample rate of points removed for inspection would be extremely time consuming and disruptive on all but small installations. 25% is more realistic, and that means 75% wont be removed for inspection......and if that dangerous defect is not in the 25% removed.....you know the rest.

Am I right in thinking that before a client opts for a % of testing eg 33% each year over 3 years , they should have a full 100test carried out ?? Therefore year 1 is 100% then after that they can do 33% a year and spread the budget rather than doing 100% every 3 years ??

Also the OP slasked about filling in details for CNT ( circuit not tested) surely there is no details put in the full thing is left blank?
Thirdly when carrying out % testing what system do use use to identify what has been tested ( obviously you can see from reports) but does any one put say coloured dots on each year different colours each year ?

Was just wondering when a sample size is set for an EICR Say 50% would the remaining circuits have to be identified for schedule purposes. I'm training to becoming an electrician and it's something that I'm unsure about.

Sample size is generally referred to the number of points inspected during the EICR (ie 50% = 5No lights inspected on a circuit consisting 10No lights!), not a percentage of the number of circuits in an installation.
An EICR could be carried out on one circuit, all circuits or a percentage of circuits in an installation.
If as mentioned on previous posts you are asked to do an EICR on one or 33% of all circuits, You state which circuits on the report (with full schedule details) but still carry out a 100% inspection of those circuits and (for example) a 50% sample rate within those circuits.
Within those 33% of circuits there may be limitations etc. whereby circuits cant be inspected/tested and these are then labelled 'Circuit Not Tested' on the report with the other 66% of circuits.

Am I right in thinking that before a client opts for a % of testing eg 33% each year over 3 years , they should have a full 100test carried out ?? Therefore year 1 is 100% then after that they can do 33% a year and spread the budget rather than doing 100% every 3 years ??

Also the OP slasked about filling in details for CNT ( circuit not tested) surely there is no details put in the full thing is left blank?
Thirdly when carrying out % testing what system do use use to identify what has been tested ( obviously you can see from reports) but does any one put say coloured dots on each year different colours each year ?
If we are doing a percentage test over 5 years we will break it down to complete distribution boards . Keeps the paper work tidy and clearer what is tested .instead of different dates and stickers on radium circuits. We do find if we follow a different contrator who has stated a 20% test ,they have cherry picked all the easy circuits to test !!!! I believe the correct way for a percentage test is 100% First year then if its given a 5 year ticket 20% every year .of course it does seem made testing and inspecting circuits that where only tested 1 year ago .but if you waited 5 years to carry out the first 20% test there would be a gap of 10 years until the last 20% gets tested. This method works well on large sites as it can spread the customer budget.

Reply to Eicr sample size question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock