Discuss EICR Smoke Detectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Christ Im now as bad as the others.

Doing a EICR today and every bloody smoke detector was installed about 100mm away from the light. Conventional FA System with series 65 Smokes and Heats. I know building regs say 300mm distances from lights and walls. I know Aico mains smokes instructions say 300mm from walls and lights but I can’t find Series 65 instructions online or anything in 7671. Ita more to note it than code it as the fire alarm bloke should be picking it up on his 6 monthly inspections but isn’t.

Just put it as a comment on the EICR, no code, just a written comnent, bonus points if you can pull something over from the relevant 5839 part/clause.

While not part of the EICR, you're CYA by noting and directing, even though it's not on the 7671 scope, doesn't mean we shouldn't be pointing to the proper bits where relevent

Just put it as a comment on the EICR, no code, just a written comnent, bonus points if you can pull something over from the relevant 5839 part/clause.

While not part of the EICR, you're CYA by noting and directing, even though it's not on the 7671 scope, doesn't mean we shouldn't be pointing to the proper bits where relevent

Im hoping someone will tell me where in 5839 to look so I can stick it in the notes ?. Cause I can’t find it for love nor money

Maybe the Fire Alarm bloke is picking it up and noting it to CHA, but no-one is taking any notice or doesn't want to spend.

Found this here, damn beaten to it,

View attachment 59479
The fire alarm bloke isn’t, this HA don’t mess about, if there told something needs doing it’s just go ahead. He also hasn’t noted the supply is wired in twin and earth, it’s wired on the same circuit as several other items, it’s got no fire alarm do not switch off stickers, it’s got no double pole isolation.
My knowledge of fire alarms is limited as you might be able to tell, but I’m sure I’m right that the above items all need attention.

Sounds par for the course fitted by someone who probably has never seen BS5839:1.
[automerge]1594827468[/automerge]
For a Part 1 system it is 500mm from walls and similar obstructions.

Last edited:
Some photos of the lighting circuit on the EICR I found. Didn’t get a R1+R2 at every point surprisingly enough.

Attachments

• E759D9CF-855F-4F6B-A00A-D8093604C3E9.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 36
  • EF95891D-5468-41EC-A0CC-290B79DB71D3.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 8D2BFFEB-F7D7-4244-8472-7728DEC7190C.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 38
  • 6226A1C2-4EFE-4428-832D-5F4A14E99F77.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 37
  • C6714DF2-9CEC-4A02-847D-E4BB3BA6A365.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 8F44A896-EC4C-4235-9F6B-16C01A73B8C1.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 36

Reply to EICR Smoke Detectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net