Discuss Eicr test gymnasium and country club in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

fraz

-
Reaction score
I have been asked to carry out an eicr at a country club and gym. Large premises. What’s everyone’s thought on price. It would need to be per circuit

Best guess on time required for you and your mate.
add 50% for bad guess and quote at normal day rate.

Have you had an opportunity to look at the job properly? I ask this simply because my local gym/club/etc has a huge number of circuits to cope with the 100 or so items of gym equipment, fire alarm and sprinkler systems, lighting to the gym, tennis courts,restaurant, kitchens and bar, swimming pool pumps and filters, aircon, carpark lighting, the list goes on. I asked for a tour, and it took 2 hours just to identify what was installed. You say it's a large premises, so be careful not to under-quote because there are so many systems you might not realise just how extensive the job will be.
On the up side, you should have easy parking!

Another point to consider...don't know how modern the installation is relative to the exercise machines in the gym, but my local one had all-new machines installed recently and members can log-in to their accounts and by Bluetooth or some such wizardry that I don't understand, they can interrogate each and every machine they have used, to see their performance. These new machines are linked to a central computer, or bank of them, by network cables...miles and miles of cables. Not part of an EICR in the general sense, but if you are asked to check those cables too, and if you don't have the sophisticated, dedicated network cable testers then I'd suggest sub-contracting that element to someone who has all the right gear. I saw the roof-space above the gym and it was just a huge spaghetti-junction of purple cables, not labelled in any way I could see.
On the other hand, if you want to go for it, I guess it'd be a great job all round for a week or two!

Oh, I forgot the vending machines! Oh, and the 5A round pin circuits for lighting in the restaurant/bar...and the electric barriers at the entrance...and the lifts...and the power-hungry Dyson Blade hand-driers in the loos...and we have a spa and hairdresser studio too...and the outdoor sockets at the pro-shop for the golf course with the chargers for the buggies...and the golf course sprinkler systems
Frankly, even the kitchens would take you a day...

I always find a good starting point is to review the last EICR then work out what they missed after that you need to agree the limitations and percentage level of the inspection and testing, another thing you may have to factor into your pricing is any out of normal hours work needed to minimise business disruption while testing

On larger jobs I just work out a rate per distribution board and a rate per circuit and add an extra days labour to cover the unexpected.
It also comes down to what limitations you agree.
(On these larger jobs remember to allow time to write up the report, and then write a decent covering letter to explain it in English.)

A friend on mine is looking at a similar problem of taking over an old bank to use for charity work. I did a quick tour to give informal advice and for two floors of about 400m^2 each I found about 6 DB, some new-ish (90s rewire?) and a couple that were much older, plus a few old switched-fuses with asbestos warning labels on them (rewirable with asbestos pads for arc-suppression) but not obvious if they are in use or not as little documentation, even though I asked her to pester the agent for last EICR.

Could easily be 100 circuits and probably half of them are of unknown usage now!

TL;DR - what they said, get a good idea of the scale before you quote.

I saw the roof-space above the gym and it was just a huge spaghetti-junction of purple cables, not labelled in any way I could see.
You can by network cable that has serial numbers per roll all along the length, so you can identify ends that way if just pulled in as a bundle.

Also you get kits like this at reasonable price that will do a full cable check for connectivity, short/open, and overall length. Really handy if you plan to offer any data services to extend your business or do CCTV using PoE cameras, etc:

And these bits can be plugged in to end sockets so you can use the above tester to ID each cable after installation (sadly they don't so as much cable checking as the end bit that comes with the tester, they are just for ID'ing):

Contact the person in charge and ask if someone has a spare hour or so for you to survey the site, they would have to know and have access to a majority of the distribution boards. Once you know the quantity of circuits, it wouldn't have to be exact there will be give and take divide the total by how many you will do in a day and allow costing for producing the Report.

I have been asked to carry out an eicr at a country club and gym. Large premises. What’s everyone’s thought on price. It would need to be per circuit

Why does it need to be per circuit? Has the customer specifically requested it be priced in this manner?

Reply to Eicr test gymnasium and country club in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock