Discuss EICR test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

No you keep it and submit it to whoever needs to see it. Whoever does the work compiles the Certificate.

No you keep it and submit it to whoever needs to see it. Whoever does the work compiles the Certificate.
Hi westward10,
If the house passes EICR check what sort paper work do you get as confirmation? The estate agents who organise the rent on house has asked for paper work to confirm the work has been done. I would be correct in saying this is the MWC. To get experience I would like to do this kind work myself but I don't have liability insurance. Looking to gain my qualification in Part P and edition 18.

and you can do a MWC yourself as long as you are competent and have (or borrow) a MFT to do the tests required.
Hi telectrix,
Yes I have MFT. I am qualified Ecurrently work for the NHS as Electrician.
I have had look at the MWC and it asks for "trading title of electrical contractor" do I just leave this blank?

Hi telectrix,
Yes I have MFT. I am qualified Ecurrently work for the NHS as Electrician.
I have had look at the MWC and it asks for "trading title of electrical contractor" do I just leave this blank?

Hi Telectric,
Sorry having computer problems.
Yes I have MFT. I am qualified Electrician currently working for the NHS. Looking to gain more experience and gaining my Part P and 18th Edition.

you could make your own up. e.g. BB Electrical.if you are considering going self-employed you'll need one anyway.

Hi Telectrix,

Make up my own!!! What happens if the estate agent google it?

The failure was - Bathroom light under 2.25m inside bathroom zone with inadequate ingress protection.
Need to replace ceiling rose fitting with ceiling light, with IP65 rating.

Although I am more than competent on doing the job as I have fitted numerous fittings in my current employment. The only thing that worries me is the liability insurance, which keeps popping up.
I may leave this to another Electrician who has this assurance.

Thank you for the help.

Not everything is on Google, google your own name and see what come up.

If the ceiling is above 2.25 and you fit a bulkhead light it will not have to be IP65 either if fitted correctly.

Even an owner occupier can change their own light fittings.

An Electricians qualifications are your assurance, his insurance is taken out with an underwriter to cover his liability.

Don't get too bogged down on this, just do the job fill out the MWC to the best you can and give the letting agent a copy, I doubt they will even look at it or know what they are looking at.

Last edited:
This may be another of those situations where the LL’s agent demands nothing but a satisfactory EICR.... meaning an unsatisfactory one, even with the MWC won’t be enough for them.

Last edited:
Have I got this right, your friend owns the property and is therefore the landlord and the letting agent is demanding/asking for a "Satisfactory" EICR not one with a MWC appended, if this is the case tell your friend to get a new letting agent.

and i need to reiterate. liability insurance covers you for damage to property if done in the course of your work. nothing to do with issuing a certificate.

and if you decide on a trading title, it will only come up on google if you personally put it there, either with google ads or having a website.

Have I got this right, your friend owns the property and is therefore the landlord and the letting agent is demanding/asking for a "Satisfactory" EICR not one with a MWC appended, if this is the case tell your friend to get a new letting agent.
My friend owns the property and he had to get EICR done. The assessment failed a light in the bathroom. The letting agent said, after you get the fitting sorted, another EICR will need to be done. Another £180. The landlord is not happy having to pull out another £180 just for him to check the repair. I am qualified electrician but I don't have the Part "P"or the 18th edition. I have Inspection and testing 2391, NVQ3, HNC in electrical and electronic engineering, 17th edition amendment 3 BS7671..

Binbag, Why don't you just take out public liability insurance, buy a book of MWCs from a wholesaler and do the job yourself.

A basic PL policy is not a lot and you can pay monthly so what you charge for this job would probably pay at least the first few months.

Then as you say you are looking to update your qualifications I assume you will be looking to do more private work, you will be insured.

The only requirement for someone carrying out the testing and completing an EICR or a MWC is to be "competent", which you appear to be.
Unless you are a Frank Spencer clone, then the liability insurance bit is irrelevant.

Reply to EICR test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net