Discuss EICR Unsatisfactory in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Danmatt

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, needed an EICR for my house. An electrician has issued me with an unsatisfactory certificate. He's invoiced me for doing the survey but obvs work needs doing. If I don't get him to do the remedial work where do I stand with having a satisfactory certificate?

Also, the electrician has said "There is no RCD protection for circuits 1 & 2, the consumer unit is made from plastic". Yes, I have a plastic consumer unit which he has put at a C3, commenting "Consumer unit is not metal or installed in a non-combustible cabinet or enclosure, showing NO signs of thermal damage, located under a wooden or combustible public stairwell forming part of an escape route from a dwelling area." My CU is not under my stairs nor is it part of an escape route. It's in a room next to the front door with a door which closes. The front door is not the only access to the outside of my house - I have a back door too through my kitchen.

My quote for works says "Replace & install consumer unit for dual RCD 18th edition". Do I actually need to replace the CU for a metal one or can the RCD protection be put in place for circuits 1&2.

Not sure if any of this makes sense.

No you do not need to replace the CU. It is a C3. Sometimes automated editing of certs leads to such items being put in an EICR. You can get caught out by that if you don't read the cert before you send it out. There are pre made insertions on the software that produces the cert that can make these "mistakes" it is all about checking/reading through the cert before you fire it out. Check with the spark who did it and you might find he will amend the cert when he looks at it. Bottom line, there is no need to change the CU unless there are compelling reasons to such as C1/C2 related to the CU. Apart form that it is opportunism suggesting you must change it, and that is putting it charitably.

You don't have to have the same guys back. Any work done to remedy issues highlighted by the EICR should have an accompanying minor works. The failed EICR and the combined Mi or Works for remedials cancel out the unsatisfactory EICR but you may have to pay to get a cert reissued as satisfactory as it is unlikely a spark would trust another sparks paperwork.

No you don't have to replace it and yes it could be possible to retrofit an RCD to cover those circuits provided adequate space and spares for your current board (generally appropriate RCDs and a length of busbar or RCBOs to replace the MCBs)

Hi, needed an EICR for my house. An electrician has issued me with an unsatisfactory certificate. He's invoiced me for doing the survey but obvs work needs doing. If I don't get him to do the remedial work where do I stand with having a satisfactory certificate?

Also, the electrician has said "There is no RCD protection for circuits 1 & 2, the consumer unit is made from plastic". Yes, I have a plastic consumer unit which he has put at a C3, commenting "Consumer unit is not metal or installed in a non-combustible cabinet or enclosure, showing NO signs of thermal damage, located under a wooden or combustible public stairwell forming part of an escape route from a dwelling area." My CU is not under my stairs nor is it part of an escape route. It's in a room next to the front door with a door which closes. The front door is not the only access to the outside of my house - I have a back door too through my kitchen.

My quote for works says "Replace & install consumer unit for dual RCD 18th edition". Do I actually need to replace the CU for a metal one or can the RCD protection be put in place for circuits 1&2.

Not sure if any of this makes sense.
He's not saying it is, I think he's trying to say it's not. To make it clearer he should he probably should have stated '' showing NO sign of thermal damage, nor is it located''.
Are any C1's or C2's listed? If not, why not satisfactory?

He's not saying it is, I think he's trying to say it's not. To make it clearer he should he probably should have stated '' showing NO sign of thermal damage, nor is it located''.
Are any C1's or C2's listed? If not, why not satisfactory?
that's how i read it. it's ambiguous how it's worded.

Thanks for posting part of the EICR.
From what I can see, all of the C2 items can be addressed without necessarily changing the consumer unit.

I believe the electrician has correctly coded as C3 the plastic consumer unit, but is suggesting it be replaced, not because of it not being non combustible, but as it is probably the best means of achieving RCD protection where it is lacking.
I would agree with that recommendation.

The only C2 items I would disagree with are for circuits passing through a bathroom, and for circuits supplying a bathroom. These should both be C3 according to both Napit codebreakers, and Electrical Safety First Best Practice Guide 4.

As has been suggested, the RCDs could possibly be added to your existing consumer unit, but that's not possible to tell from where I'm sitting right now. ?

a lot of those C1 and C2 items are simple fixes.
C3 for the CU being plastic
C3 for no RCD bathroom circuits etc.

So far, no one has explained to the OP that C3s do not result in an 'unsatisfactory' result. C1s and C2s are the ones that matter.
That appears to be a fair, honest and thorough EICR. There are a number of issues preventing the issuing of a satisfactory report, but most of these could be dealt with by a day's work.
The only thing I disagree with (from here) is the need to replace the CU, but if I was there in person, I might change my mind on that.

If the electrician has put down a C2 for 4.4 (IP rating of CU), this is nothing to do with it being plastic as that is 4.5 which he has dealt with. Without being there we cannot see why he has coded it C2 so we cant say that it shouldn't be a code C2. You could ask him, but if I had coded it a C2 and advised a consumer unit change then I would have done so for a reason. It is potentially dangerous (and it is not financially viable to fill all the gaps compared to changing the CU) and needs changing asap.

Thanks for posting part of the EICR.
From what I can see, all of the C2 items can be addressed without necessarily changing the consumer unit.

I believe the electrician has correctly coded as C3 the plastic consumer unit, but is suggesting it be replaced, not because of it not being non combustible, but as it is probably the best means of achieving RCD protection where it is lacking.
I would agree with that recommendation.

The only C2 items I would disagree with are for circuits passing through a bathroom, and for circuits supplying a bathroom. These should both be C3 according to both Napit codebreakers, and Electrical Safety First Best Practice Guide 4.

As has been suggested, the RCDs could possibly be added to your existing consumer unit, but that's not possible to tell from where I'm sitting right now. ?
@loz2754 what, you have no crystal ball??? Thanks for your reply!

So far, no one has explained to the OP that C3s do not result in an 'unsatisfactory' result. C1s and C2s are the ones that matter.
That appears to be a fair, honest and thorough EICR. There are a number of issues preventing the issuing of a satisfactory report, but most of these could be dealt with by a day's work.
The only thing I disagree with (from here) is the need to replace the CU, but if I was there in person, I might change my mind on that.
@brianmoooore it's ok. I understand about C3 being akin to an advisory on an MOT failure ?

Reply to EICR Unsatisfactory in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net