Discuss EICR What would you do? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
EICR What would you do? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
EICR What would you do? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
can you perceive a potential danger? if so, C2. if not, C3.

I seem to remember hearing about proteus not being too reliable - Also what will the insurance people say if there's a fire and there's mixed MCBs? (which is not recommended by the board manufacturer)
I can perceive potential danger to my peace of mind!

I would be more concerned about the three electric showers.

I can't make out all the MCB markings for sure, but it looks like on this 80A-rated RCD, there are 4x32A socket ring final circuits, and 3x40A shower circuits. Despite applying diversity, might there not be the risk of this RCD getting a little overloaded, if more than one person is taking a shower at once?

I would class the wrong MCBS as a code 2 - they not designed for the DB
could someone enlighten me as to why a mixture of different MCB's should be coded at all? If they are marked as conforming to BS60898 and physically fit properly what difference does it make? It can't possibly be a code 2

could someone enlighten me as to why a mixture of different MCB's should be coded at all? If they are marked as conforming to BS60898 and physically fit properly what difference does it make? It can't possibly be a code 2
it states in manufacturer's instructions to only use there breakers, bs7671 says you need to take manufacturer's instructions into account

it states in manufacturer's instructions to only use there breakers, bs7671 says you need to take manufacturer's instructions into account
fair point but they are just covering their butts cos they don't test their own CU's with a mixture of other brands. A BS coded part should fit in any. So should it be a code 2????

fair point but they are just covering their butts cos they don't test their own CU's with a mixture of other brands. A BS coded part should fit in any. So should it be a code 2????
if they fit properly and everything is tight i wouldnt code it but others would and i wouldn't mock or argue with them about it.

at the end of the day an eicr is your opinion on the condition of the install for continued service

So you take your car for an mot.
Everything checks out fine, but you have hdi headlamps and the passenger side headlight power wash isn't working.
You get a fail for it.
Take it to another garage,
Pass with the power wash down as an advisory,
Take it to yet another garage,
Pass with no advisory.

Take yer choices.
Is the power wash thingy dangerous (how clean are the headlights,how clean do you keep your car, how often has the power wash ever been used !!!)

Back to topic,

Its not dangerous, its not potentially dangerous, its C3 at the very worst.
Anything more and the general public will perceive you as a money grabbing jobs worth trying to rip em off.

And could you really blame them ???

But then again its your name on the cert.
As said you takes yer choices, and as a competent person, its your call.

One other point !!

If anyone is carrying out an EICR, they should be doing so as a competent person.

As such you should be confident in making judgements based on
your experience, knowledge, understanding, and expertise.

If you find yourself rating an installation as unsatisfactory ie C1 C2

Then you need to justify your reasoning beyond and above something more than doing so to simply cover your ---.

That's not fair to the customer, or a true or accurate reflection of the installation.
If your ever unsure about a C3 coding and mark a C2 for that reason,
then you need to ask how competent am I ????

Rant over and sorry for going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to EICR What would you do? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock