Discuss Eicr in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

joehat

Sub mains to 2 x outbuildings.

Is the only way for this to pass an eicr is for the cables to be dug up and redone, I am going to make safe and add rcds by main fuse??

No armour or protection??
8e29dce8603da19561b01b3794b40481.jpg
7a1381191aa1c939a355aa8a83225f0e.jpg
49b2e033147b8669e6134db6b500718b.jpg

So its an EICR - a few C2's, and unsatisfactory report, submit your invoice with report and walk away, when paid, discuss remedial works with client.

They looked like 16 mm t/e
I would put a c2 but if they wasn't gonna have it dug up Ect would you say an rcd would make it a lot safer and that's what I'm suggesting,

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot pass or fail an EICR, it is a report not an exam. You are giving a report on the condition of the installation in its current condition including an overall assessment of either satisfactory or unsatisfactory.

As for suggestions to rectify that problem: disconnecting it would be the cheapest soloution. Without inspecting that lot I can't really give an opinion on whether it is salvageable of not.

You cannot pass or fail an EICR, it is a report not an exam. You are giving a report on the condition of the installation in its current condition including an overall assessment of either satisfactory or unsatisfactory.

As for suggestions to rectify that problem: disconnecting it would be the cheapest soloution. Without inspecting that lot I can't really give an opinion on whether it is salvageable of not.

Thank you. I know it's satisfactory or unsatisfactory.

As you have no valid opinion apart from picking at my wordings, then I'd appreciate no more comments from you.

Thanks

What's on the other end of these submains?

An office to one and an outbuilding/bedsit in another.

I would class it as unsatisfactory in a report but as the client will not want to disconnect, I would feel the best option is to recommend rcd protection at the points in then picture as a minimum. Obviously ideally I would recommend armoured cable or equivalent, but the cost i feel unless it's compulsory eg selling of a house then, It won't be a consideration to them.

I would class it as unsatisfactory in a report but as the client will not want to disconnect, I would feel the best option is to recommend rcd protection at the points in then picture as a minimum. Obviously ideally I would recommend armoured cable or equivalent, but the cost i feel unless it's compulsory eg selling of a house then, It won't be a consideration to them.

As I previously stated you are there to do a report, if it's unsatisfactory with c2's and the customer ignores the report, there is nothing you can do.

Move on to the next job.....

wouldnt recommend a upfront rcd- if that meter cupboard is remote from the office and bedsit- then any nuisence tripping in those outbuildings would knock that rcd out and they would loose all power

Thank you. I know it's satisfactory or unsatisfactory.

As you have no valid opinion apart from picking at my wordings, then I'd appreciate no more comments from you.

Thanks

To be honest I couldn't give two hoots what you appreciate.

If that black cable is NYYJ/hi tuff or similar then depending on installation method it may be salvageable. I doubt very much that the T&E is.

As I have already said, the cheapest soloution is disconnection of the whole rotten mess.
If you have us all of the information then maybe a more useful opinion could be put forward

Then issue the report and make your recommendations. Fitting RCDs will not provide the necessary protection for those cables, and you will then have carried out work which does not comply making you liable.

To be honest I couldn't give two hoots what you appreciate.

If that black cable is NYYJ/hi tuff or similar then depending on installation method it may be salvageable. I doubt very much that the T&E is.

As I have already said, the cheapest soloution is disconnection of the whole rotten mess.
If you have us all of the information then maybe a more useful opinion could be put forward

How about you get lost, I asked politely not to comment on my posts anymore, that's all my future posts

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe and Dave please keep it civil to avoid the thread derailing, if you don't feel you can get on well enough to engage in the same threads may I suggest you use the ignore feature and at least that way the thread can stay open, cheers lads.

How about you get lost, I asked politely not to comment on my posts any more, that's all my future posts

A bit unnecessary if you ask me. Dave is a very experienced sparky and if you discount his input as not being valid, you will not learn from him.

Learning from others is what you need and nobody knows everything!

Reply to Eicr in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net