Discuss EIC's and building control in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Can someone tell me, if a builder (not part p registered) was to do all the electrical work in a house rewire himself using the labc method; then who would be required to issue the EIC for the client, the builder or the labc ? Say the testing was done by the labc. The EIC would then require two signature would it not, who would initially produce the cert ?

If the builder is not competent to provide the certificate then there would not be an electrical installation certificate, the work would be overseen at times by building control and they would designate what inspection and testing would be required and the appointed inspector would issue an EICR on the work to satisfy building control.

If the builder is not competent to provide the certificate then there would not be an electrical installation certificate, the work would be overseen at times by building control and they would designate what inspection and testing would be required and the appointed inspector would issue an EICR on the work to satisfy building control.

Okay, so in this case there would be no EIC issued to the client atall, but there would be an EICR issued instead ? Thought it was law that an EIC be issued whenever a new circuit is installed, but not in this case ?

The requirement for an EIC comes from the wiring regulations that are not law but guidance.
The specification for what building control do comes from the building regulations and the building act which are law. The issuing of an EICR as far as I am aware is only mentioned in the approved document P which is also guidance and not law.
The tests for an EICR and an EIC could be the same but the inspections would not be so comprehensive, it is a compromise to provide for common situations.

Most LABC's will expect to see a EIC produced by a competent electrician to sign off, if you aren't or expect them to inspect the electrical work this must be discussed/notified to the nominated inspector prior to the work commencing, I have known them to have testers or retained companies who will come out and inspect as you go along and then test and inspect at the end. There still has to be an element of competency involved and oversight by the council, i.e knowing where and how to run cables and compliance with the regs. The best thing is to speak to the LABC involved.

I think if LABC found there was no Electrician and no EIC would be forthcoming they would have a cat, as Council would take on all liability if they were to sign off the building works.

I'm currently rewiring my own house and as I'm not on a scheme I've notified BC myself. They came and did one inspection (after 1st fix) and they'll come back when the EIC has been completed. That's it. He didn't bother looking at the wiring in the two lofts. I'm not sure whether there are differences between councils though.

Each local authority building control will have a different approach dependent on appetite for risk and local policies, it is critical to speak to the allocated inspector for the project to understand their requirements, it is all very well telling them what they should be doing but there is a lot of interpretation involved and really no black and white answers. Those who have experience with dealing on a day to day with building inspectors will appreciate that there needs to be early constructive dialogue and agreement or they can and will be a pain in the arse and will simply not sign it off!

Reply to EIC's and building control in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock