Discuss EIC’s in new builds in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys ,

So i’ve been offered some work by a local reputable builder on a site of new builds local to me , some of which involves carrying out EIC’s once completed . My query is that am I ok to complete the certs even on properties I haven’t worked in ? I can see the install at all stages including after first fix to check cable runs etc . I have been advised that three part forms are the way to go as I can get the design and install parts countersigned by the lads doing the work . I’m registered with Stroma and only ever certify my own stuff , it’s not something I’ve been asked before and want to make sure I’m going down the right channels that’s all . Any input or advise on this would be greatly appreciated ,
thanks

There is effectively 4 signatures required for a EIC the designer the installer the tester and the supervisor. This can be the same person if they have done all the work. But in your case if you are only doing the testing you can only sign that part of the cert . The problem I see is that the installation part has to be signed by the installer and the supervisor. So effectively you would supervising the install work as it goes along and so being responsible for it . If it was me I would want to and access the electrians doing the work , so I was sure they could show competence . In short interview them and see there particle skills

Not on the model forms according to BS7671, there is no requirement for a supervisor to sign.
Yes sorry my mistake I'm thinking of the Niceic ones. Maybe then the op could sign off the testing part. As long as the installer as signed his parts. Personally though I would not want to sign of someone's work even just the testing unless i had seen it installed at all stages and had good knowledge if the installers competence

Thanks for the responses !! If it was a normal diy Dave who had wanted his own wiring signing off I wouldn’t have even entertained it , but the fact I know the guys , have been able to see the install at different stages etc has made me at least consider it , ensuring everything is right. There’s a chance I’ll be involved in the installs in the future anyway, It’s quite a big estate and the majority have been completed .
I obviously wouldn’t do it if there’s any issues regarding the design and install sections but just wanted to know if it’s doable and other people’s opinions before taking it on

ESS
Yes sorry my mistake I'm thinking of the Niceic ones. Maybe then the op could sign off the testing part. As long as the installer as signed his parts. Personally though I would not want to sign of someone's work even just the testing unless i had seen it installed at all stages and had good knowledge if the installers competence
my only other thought was whether or not I could do it as a EICR as it wasn’t my install ?

EICR is for existing Installtions. BS7671 requires a certificate for new work.
by the way, I assume that you will be doing the notification to LABC through your CPS scheme?

Yeah I will be , I spoke with the Napit technical department ( through my Stroma membership) who said I was fine as long as I used the ‘three part form’ etc , they seemed quite happy with it ! That’s why you was after a second opinion and any advise

Yeah I will be , I spoke with the Napit technical department ( through my Stroma membership) who said I was fine as long as I used the ‘three part form’ etc , they seemed quite happy with it ! That’s why you was after a second opinion and any advise
its not the fact you can do it, but your insurance will not cover it does not matter what they say.

If the majority of the installs are already completed, I'd be curious to know if there was some previous electrician who was going to test and certify them, and what happened. Unless of course the builder only just realised this would be needed (not so likely).

I agree with @SJD and would be enquiring about who did the previous works and why they are no longer in situ. It could be to do with the current covid situation or something else and if that involved money I would be treading carefully.

If the majority of the installs are already completed, I'd be curious to know if there was some previous electrician who was going to test and certify them, and what happened. Unless of course the builder only just realised this would be needed (not so likely).

I believe it was a family dispute and the previous electrician did a bunk on the sister of the main man so it got a bit messy . I just want to make sure everything would be above board before doing anything !!

... I assume that you will be doing the notification to LABC through your CPS scheme?
For a new build that wouldn't be neccessary - it would normally come under building control for the whole of the build (they'll look into all the other building regs, not just the lecky ones). But typically they'll want an EIC, that way they don't need to employ any electrical knowledge on their own behalf.

Reply to EIC’s in new builds in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock