Discuss ELCB or RCD requirements or best practices? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im a Yankee sparky doing a 17th ed install.
Besides in a shower room, where else is required a RCD or ELCB?
For ex., next to a kitchen sink?
And beyond requirements, what is the best practice?:confused:

all circuits need to be RCD protected under the 17th. there are a few exceptions, but 90% of the time, in domestics, it's every circuit.

Any special locations eg bathrooms and kitchens, anywhere that you can plug something in that can be used outdoors and anything that is outdoors, any circuit cable that is less than 50mm depth from the finished surface without mechanical protection (domestic only).

any socket used by untrained persons. i.e . joe public.

but for 17th, it's not permitted to fit 1 RCD to all circiuts. 2 RCDs, circuits half and half, so as to minimise the effect of a fault on one circuit affecting other circuits. the ideal situation is RCBO for each circuit. and the term ELCB usually refers to the outlawed voltage operated units. all devices must now be current operated, 30mA trip.

Last edited:
wikipedia says
Residual-current device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The current edition (17th Edition) of the regulations state that all new installations, as well as a change of distribution board or the installation of new circuits in a property wired to any previous installation, must have a split load distribution board with two RCDs covering the installation, with upstairs and downstairs lighting and power circuits spread across both RCDs in case of a fault on one RCD, therefore leaving power to at least one lighting and power circuit."

To be pedantic, only circuits of special locations require 30mA RCD protection.
Socket-outlets intended for general use by ordinary persons, or for mobile equipment outdoors require 30mA RCD protection.
As do cables concealed in walls at a depth less than 50mm, that are in safe zones, and are not aditionally protected by one of the other prescribed methods. The prescribed methods being the use of cables incorporating an earthed sheath, installing the cables in earthed trunking or conduit or providing mechanical protection sufficient to prevent the cables being penetrated by nails or screws.

Reply to ELCB or RCD requirements or best practices? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net