Discuss Elecsa Annual Visit in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

Yes, its that time of year again, got my library, certificates, calibration certificate, insurance, paperwork in order.

Got a site where I did recently finished a total rewire available for site visit.

Got tea/coffee & bickies ready.

Any suggestions for what they are asking this year?

Not a lot as usual.
The only thing which was discussed in depth (apart from football, cars, women etc.) on my last one was the importance of manufacturers instructions and a recent case of someone installing an extraction fan off the lights but not fusing it down as per and who's getting it big time after a fault which the manufacturers claim wouldn't have escalated if their instructions were adhered to.

Easy to join, cheaper than NICEIC & Napit (I thinK?) and have a great, approachable tech support.
They don't come with the same kudos as NICEIC but if you only need them for the notification then they're easily as good.

someone installing an extraction fan off the lights but not fusing it down as per and who's getting it big time after a fault which the manufacturers claim wouldn't have escalated if their instructions were adhered to.
This is a cop-out. If the manufacturers are that worried they should fit an integral 1A (or whatever) fuse.

The CPD is there to protect the cable. It is about time they realised this.

I'm sure they do realise that, but as with cheap 2a torpedo switches (for instance) if they want to sell loads they need to reduce prices and that means reduce quality of the product.
If they can do that and pass the safety onus on to the installer/purchaser then great, for them.

This is something an electrcian I used to work with picked up on one of my jobs for my assessment. The sparky I had just been working for only ever fitted an isolator next to the light switch, job done. Of course that was fresh in my mind so I done it without really paying much attention. Anyway he said to check instructions and he was right. So ended up having installing an fcu with feed coming in and going out of fcu, then that supplied bathroom downlights and extractor fan. Trouble is the models with the over-run timer require 3 core and earth and obviously you cant get hold of a 3 core fcu, so had to put the lights on it aswell.
As said its just a cost cutting exercise!

Had mine on Monday, same assessment officer as last two years.Good guy. Got to the point now he doesn't even quiz me anymore as he knows me . Just going through the motions now. :)

Anyway as long as you are up on the Regs and the Building Regs you have nothing to worry about.

Oh, and bring your 17th ed cert as they will ask to see it !

This is a cop-out. If the manufacturers are that worried they should fit an integral 1A (or whatever) fuse.

The CPD is there to protect the cable. It is about time they realised this.

Quite agree, I fitted a 40W downlighter the other day, do i need to source a .17A fuse to fit in line with this? (the instructions did specify max 40W)!!!

Today's the day, all ready and waiting - then the phone rings and the assessor can't make it. Wonder if I'll get a discount?

Send them an invoice, they would charge you a cancellation fee!!!

ÂŁ234 for cancellation within 21 days of assesment.

Full assesment fee for cancellation within 2 days of assesment.

Last edited:

Reply to Elecsa Annual Visit in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock