Discuss Elecsa assesment Monday, only registered yesterday!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparky83

Hi all,

I have my elecsa assesment on monday morning, i done the registration stuff online yesterday and they called me back a bit later in the day saying they had a free slot on monday morning, as i was a bit on the spot i said yep thats fine.:confused:

Well, hopefully it will be but i was really expecting a good month at least to prepare for it as i know the waiting list from registering to having the site visit is 4 to 6 weeks.

I only have a limited number of jobs that ive done so far as im doing it on days off etc from work, some are commercial jobs and the domestic ones are mainly breakdowns. I have a couple of DB's that i have changed, one in my house which i told the elecsa guy on the phone about as if i cant get the other customers on such short notice it'll pretty much be all i have for him, the elecsa guy spoke to the technical department and they said it should be fine, it better be!

So what im after is advise on what to make sure is spot on.

I have read other peoples requests about advice, like knowing your earthing and testing etc but just wondered if there is anything else thats important to get right as i really dont want to **** this up.

Tea and biscuits might help too i guess!!:)

cheers

shawn

make sure your insurance is up to date ect. also have the books to hand as you are not expected to know everything and they will expect you to look it up if not. by all accounts the guys are nice enough from elecsa and helpful. good luck with it.

Woohoo, nothing like a bit of prep time!!!!!

Get down to WH Smiths and buy a display book with the top loading plastic pockets and file all of your insurance, calibration certs, H&S statement, quals etc in it and a man bag for the books. Keeps it all in one place and gives the first impression of being organised :D

Next practice making tea/coffee!!!!

Ze figures, RCD times, and ring testing questions seem to be the common ones. Dont sweat it, your work will give the assessor more of a feel for how you work and if you dont know the answer to something, at least know where to find it e.g. cutting/drilling joists

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

to be honest (and not to dampen anyone) i find it all a bit of a joke, very very rare they fail anyone unless you are a total clown - its a money thing plain and simple.

know ur tester, ze, zs, difference between pefc, psc etc

safe isolation, earthing arrangements, all paperwork requested by them in place, be confident, dont -------- them and u will be ok! also know rcd tripping times, bonding cable sizes was asked, main tail sizes...........they make u feel at ease, u will be ok im sure!

good luck!:D

Yeah i was lucky getting it booked so soon (well kind of anyway) they had a cancellation, he said if i didnt take it i'd be waiting till at least the middle to end of October. Thought it would be best to take the opportunaty to do it sooner but it has left me mega short of time to prepare.

Thanks all for the advice, i sent the mrs out today buying all the biscuits she could find, thought it best to cover all bases, after all he might be a ginger nut kinda guy!

Fingers crossed it'll go ok, i alway get nervous with this kind of thing. I'll be sure to let you know, BUT if you never see me on here again its because it all went wrong and i have changed my name due to embarresment!:D

I was asked questions on all the other building regs, ie penetration of damp in a drilled wall, where to drill joists, which rooms require extractors, percentage of energy efficient bulbs. Also height of sockets and switches, allowed routing of cables, correct labeling of cables and CU's. I had very little on testing. The biggest thing tho was safe isolation before carrying out anything, 3 times he said ' lets have a look inside'. He did say that the thing that most people get marked down on was a simple PIR inspection sticker on the CU!!

Good luck anyway, like everyone has said they don't want to catch you out but do want your business, so as long as you use your common sense and knowledge, you wont go wrong

As Chiplard said, I was also asked about other parts of the building regs, if you don't know, just tell him you don't know. If he asks you a question and your mind has gone blank ask him if you can look in your OSG, we all have moments. They don't want to fail you.

Good luck

As Chiplard said, I was also asked about other parts of the building regs, if you don't know, just tell him you don't know. If he asks you a question and your mind has gone blank ask him if you can look in your OSG, we all have moments. They don't want to fail you.

Good luck

You will be expected to delve into the books so he can see that you can find the info easily, just tell him dont ask, that you are not sure and will have to look it up. You will have no problems.

Well i had my assesment earlier, it wasnt as bad as i was expecting, no real problems, although he asked me about the instalaltion for extractor fans and the required flow through them per min or something like that. Which i didnt know. Also how many energy saving lights there should be per the number of rooms. Managed to find it in my part p book but really dont get what that has to do with anything.

Oh well, its done now so just need to make sure i polish up on the areas that im a little unsure on.

Happy days! :D

Well i had my assesment earlier, it wasnt as bad as i was expecting, no real problems, although he asked me about the instalaltion for extractor fans and the required flow through them per min or something like that. Which i didnt know. Also how many energy saving lights there should be per the number of rooms. Managed to find it in my part p book but really dont get what that has to do with anything.

Oh well, its done now so just need to make sure i polish up on the areas that im a little unsure on.

I got asked the energy saving lights question - I think it has something to do with the Part L building regs on Conservation of fuel - which is encompassed by us Sparkies.

Where about are you in the country that was a fast assesment date.

hi mate
congrats on your assessment i too wish to register with elecsa
what jobs did you show him and for the ccu change did you notify labc first or are you doing it through elecsa cheers

I got asked the energy saving lights question - I think it has something to do with the Part L building regs on Conservation of fuel - which is encompassed by us Sparkies.

Where about are you in the country that was a fast assesment date.

Hi, Im in West Sussex, the guy i spoke to when booking said i'd have to wait till the middle/end of October, which was a long wait so although i was a fair bit under prepared i decided to go for it even with only a few days notice but luckily it paid of.

hi mate
congrats on your assessment i too wish to register with elecsa
what jobs did you show him and for the ccu change did you notify labc first or are you doing it through elecsa cheers

I only had the one job for him to look at, as it was a CU change he was more then happy with that. No i hadnt informed the LABC first, i only did the board end of last week ready for my assesment so once i get my docs come through from elecsa i can register it.

nice one bud......welcome aboard!

:D

cheers sparky83
thats the way a few have told me to do it i am going to use a ccu change at my bruvs as my main job so thanks for advice matey i had been waiting for my 2391 results which i got told i had passed today so elecsa registration next step will give them a ring and then do job before my assessment thanks mate for reply

Reply to Elecsa assesment Monday, only registered yesterday!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net